Favorite yellow hosta for the shade

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Denise_in_MI

Favorite yellow hosta for the shade

Post by Denise_in_MI »

I'm making a list of plants that I would like to get from Chris. I need your favorite yellow hosta for shade. I have 'Grey Ghost', but it turns darker as the season progresses. ...and if you don't have it. It's very cool!
ADog Kaiser
DX: 2/2/11
Percorten-V 0.7ml q. 28 days, Pred: 0.5mg/qd
Foster ADog Scarlett
DX: unknown
Percorten-V 0.2ml q. 28 days, Pred: 1.0mg/qd
Kas

Re: Favorite yellow hosta for the shade

Post by Kas »

I like Sun Power. Or Zounds.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

Sea Gulf Stream stayed pretty bright last year when kept in a pot in the shade. I'm sure it would be a much brighter gold with some sun, but in the shade I noticed it wasn't quite as green as some other golds that I have in the shade (I have quite a bit of shade)

I'll tell you one that is truly yellow for me in the shade: "Remember Me"...in my garden, the yellow never turns to creamy white as it's supposed to. I think it looks like a small June in the sun.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hi,
I don't have any dense shade to recomend a yellow. Out of the yellow's in the most shade 'Blaze of Glory' does stay bright. A yellow I really love is 'Rich Uncle', out of 'Electrum Stater'. You could ask, hard to say, he may have one in his stash. :roll: I do really like 'Lullabye', it does green a little. Mine is in a fair amount of bright light. The leaf detail is well worth it, unique. It is probably one of my favorites to watch in the spring.
Be part of the solution
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Sun Power...Dawn's Early Light...Fire Island...Golden Scepter...Little Miss Magic.......Good Luck!
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

'Blaze of Glory' came to mind right away, before I read the other suggestions.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

From the Hallson list of yellows, I have Grand Canyon, Diva, Dawn's Early Light and Blaze of Glory in shade. All of them have a nice yellow color. Grand Canyon starts out a greenish color, but gets some nice yellow, and Diva follows that pattern as well. I cannot honestly remember if Blaze of Glory is yellow all year or not, have only had it one year, but I do remember that it was a very nice bright yellow in the fall. I love Dawn's Early Light, but it's only bright in the spring.
BTW, I have Dawn's Early Light and Diva side by side, so there is a season-long pop of yellow in that spot.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Thank you everyone for your replies! Greatly appreciated.
ADog Kaiser
DX: 2/2/11
Percorten-V 0.7ml q. 28 days, Pred: 0.5mg/qd
Foster ADog Scarlett
DX: unknown
Percorten-V 0.2ml q. 28 days, Pred: 1.0mg/qd
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Chris also sells 'Designer Genes'. I know, because he's using my picture for it! This one is absolutely outstanding, especially right now, where it's well ahead of the other yellows in coming up (I'm not sure if that's a location thing, or a characteristic of this hosta). Not as big as Sun Power, which is another favorite yellow.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Today's picture. Notice that the others around it are just eyes.
designer genes.JPG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Another one I have and love.....Whiskey Sour .....I have it in a pot, and it been that way for years....I told Pat, I need to re-pot it ans split it..... :cool:
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

The only yellow I have is Cheatin' Heart. It's little but I like it. I basically don't get any sun being on the wrong side of the building.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

Here's Dancing Queen, next to Clovelly this morning. Simply glows...

-Diana
IMG_2734.jpg
Kas

Post by Kas »

Oooohh! I want both Clovelly and Dancing Queen! I am seriously short on space that isn't full sun or cedar and spruce root choked. I have just lost or almost lost too many hostas under those trees. And we extended our bedroom out 8 feet, so now it covers my patio where I used to have nice dappled shade for hosta pots. Still trying to figure out the best plan.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mooie

Post by mooie »

Dancing Queen has my heart! Never fails the entire year! :D
~Imagine~
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't able to reply myself. Everyone has some great suggestions though :)

For yellows in a lot of shade I always like to go with what I call the spring yellows - they are bright right away, without the need for sun. So many of those that start green never really yellow up enough without good sunlight.

Sea Fire and its relatives Dawn's Early Light and Eye Declare, plus others like Lullabye, Fire Island (and Paradise Island), and Designer Genes start out really yellow but turn more green later. Blaze of Glory starts out very bright yellow and although it greens up a bit it stays fairly yellow all year compared to the others.

Dancing Queen is very bright early on and from the description it is supposed to lighten even more. I worry that it might burn in too much sun, so it probably needs some shade. We have that one growing now, planned for 2011, and I sure hope they look as nice as Diana's later on! Oh, and Whiskey Sour does look great now, and I think it stays somewhat yellow all the time.

And don't forget about the little ones. Dragon Tails is nice and bright, and so is Sunlight Child.

I will get a spring picture of the growing area for you as soon as they leaf out more. The spring yellows really are amazing when they come up :D
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

A couple of early spring yellows that haven't been mentioned are 'Hadspen Samphire' [brightest yellow right now] - an older Eric Smith plant - and Greg Johnson's 'Tequila Sunrise'. Both green up about like 'Lemon Lime', but for early spring yellow you can't beat them.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

What's everyone's opinion of King Tut? I want it mostly so I can sing the SNL skit, lol.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I don't have that one, Spider, but I have the sport, Mister Watson. It was a bonus from a Hallson order a few years ago and I really like it. I do have it in quite a bit shade, so it's not as bright as it would no doubt be with more sun, but it's still nice.
New Topic Post Reply