Three Sisters

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
largosmom

Three Sisters

Post by largosmom »

Aphrodite on the left, Athena is the stripy one in the middle (from Hallsons), and Plantaginea...the older sister, is on the right. All three need will go into my "memory garden" for their lovely large flowers and hopefully nice scent.

click to enlarge the photo
Three Sisters Hostas  1012.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Three Sisters

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing! Your Athena has some terrific streaking plus plenty of vigor - great to see :)

Chris
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Nice looking plants. Where did you find your athena?
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Cheryl,

Laura bought that one from us, I think a couple years ago. Unfortunately we are out of them now, I have 2 left for 2 orders waiting to go.

Sorry,

Chris
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I could kick myself for not picking up an Athena in 2006 for $20. But then again, I can't get Aphrodite to bloom.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

It seems the plantaginea members require plenty of heat in order to flower. I have a 'Venus' and have only gotten it to the bud stage, in its first year. Haven't been able to give it enough sun to satisfy its heat requirements, plus, it's a hot day around here if it gets beyond 80F... I suspect it looks for more than that. Too bad really, all the hybrids I have, such as 'Fragrant Bouquet', 'Guacamole' and 'Stained Glass' are all good growers and reliably bloomers.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Pretty. I don't have a streaked one yet. I'll have to be on the lookout for Athena.
Last edited by jobranch on May 04, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I'd heard that Aphrodite needed more sun to flower, so the first batch I grew were planted in a spot with sun until noon/1pm. Only a few developed scapes, those that did aborted. The next batch went into deep shade. More of those sent up scapes, but they also aborted. However, a few days later it started to rain, and rain, and rain. Some new scapes came up on Athena and on a few of the Aphrodite in the shade and those opened.

So from my own personal observations, more sunlight didn't make a bit of difference. Tons of moisture right at the time they were setting buds made them flower here in complete, full shade. :)
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

I will make sure these ladies get plenty of water. They put some size on the leaves this year for certain. I haven't yet seen the flowers on Aphrodite or Athena. Plantaginia is always a favorite for the flower size though.
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

Forgot to say, yes Athena was from Chris. I will have to look back. I think I have some photos of them at the gardens.

I am heading that way next week by the way. Hope there is something left for me! I am planning to drive up on Friday.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

When I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be pumpkin, corn and squash :lol: :lol: All three are beautiful hosta, especially Athena!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
New Topic Post Reply