What's wrong with this picture?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

What's wrong with this picture?

Post by redcrx »

This is the hosta plant that got me interested in hosta. Before I came across this plant I thought hosta were just some green or gold hunks of vegatation that would grow in shade and put out some wimpy flowers. Then I found this particular plant at a nursery in New Jersey and was stunned that a hosta could have such interesting variations on one plant. This is Hanky Panky. And after some research I found many other really interesting forms of hosta - huge white flowers, dark purple flowers, 5 foot flower stalks, gigantic plants, incredibly tiny plants. And then there is the ability to mutate to something completely different. I have a Paradise Sunset with a large yellow piece growing on it, Acacemy Fire with a nice yellow piece growing on it, First Frost with a bright yellow leaf, Gold Standard with every leaf different because of a random white edge, Twilight streaking, Sum and Substance streaking - as they grow they change. Then today I find this huge round leaf sticking out of my Hanky Panky. I can't wait to see what this thing does.
Attachments
Hanky Panky May 2010
Hanky Panky May 2010
Hanky Panky May 2010
Hanky Panky May 2010
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Post by JaneG »

This hosta is playing that game "Which of These Things Doesn't Belong?"
Kind of hard to miss that round leaf!

Your description of getting sucked into hostas probably mirrors many of the stories here. :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hi Ed,
I like the find. I have some sports thrown from 'Hanky Panky'. They are not as round.

On a wim, I think there is a piece of different plant material in there? :roll:

Good Luck
Be part of the solution
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

redcrx wrote:This is the hosta plant that got me interested in hosta. ... This is Hanky Panky.
Hanky Panky. Registered 2004. I feel so OOOOLLLLDDDD.
The hosta that got me interested: 'Fluctuans Variegated'. So old it doesn't even have the same name anymore. That was about 1990. Twenty years of hosta lovin'.

And then I see Mildred Seaver at our hosta society meetings, who has nearly 60 years of hosta lovin' under her belt (or, in her case, hat).
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here is a shot of the second leaf. It has the more normal shape.
Attachments
Hanky Panky May 2010
Hanky Panky May 2010
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
thy

Post by thy »

LOL David

Elegans did the trick for me. only 15 years ago- dod it. becaurse I rembered it from my grandfathers summer residence ..as a child, just planted in a círcke around the flagston ib th neighbourg garden ... had to have that plant--- and now you see...in the good old days there were only a very few hostas :wink:

Sorry for highjacking... fact. with the oloration. it might need seperatiom from sports rather often
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

I've looked at that leaf quite a few times trying to figure out what it looks within it's heritage but it's heritage is quite long. From striptease -Gold Standard- Fortunei Hyacinthina so it's a long list with hostas known for their sports and I can't think of one that matches up, maybe Moonlight. You'll have to keep an eye on it but you could have something , only time will tell. I like it the way it looks, looks like it's has good substance.

PS mine was Galaxy, wouldn't have found this forum if it was for it. All I wanted was it for was my birthday. Took me an additional 4 years before I got it but it was worth it. Sorry but I didn't start it, it was Tiggers fault :D :D :D
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here are two Hanky Panky plants that have been twins for two years now. This season one decided to go darker than normal.
Attachments
Hanky Panky May 2010
Hanky Panky May 2010
Hanky Panky May 2010
Hanky Panky May 2010
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I have a fragment of Pole Cat that I planted in a protected area to try to get it to grow. It grew fine all last season. This season there are two different looks to it. The upright part is the normal look.
Attachments
Pole Cat   May 2010 fragment
Pole Cat May 2010 fragment
Pole Cat   May 2010 main plant
Pole Cat May 2010 main plant
Pole Cat   May 2010 main plant
Pole Cat May 2010 main plant
New Topic Post Reply