Some ID Help Please

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
guardbear
USDA Zone: 6a

Some ID Help Please

Post by guardbear »

Hi All

I still have a couple of hostas that are lonely without their IDs. These were in prior to my becoming obsessed with hostas and diligent about labeling them. Both are from about 2006/2007 and I think the leaves are mature. The green one is leaf size about 10x7 with 11 vein pairs purchased from a local small grower/hostaholic. The blue is a start from a colleague's yard which had them growing there for well over 15 years (so an older type). The blue is about 12x10 leaf size with 17 vp.

My obsession has me in a real pickle this year -- everything has gotten HUGE! I had not yet learned about hostas maturing and how big they get, so expanding the beds has become a big chore -- and many plants need moving this year in addition to planting my new ones. I think I'm pooped and the season has hardly begun.

Thanks for any help. I read this forum daily and sure have learned alot.
Linda
Attachments
IMG_5844_crop.JPG
IMG_5845.JPG
IMG_5845.JPG (34.57 KiB) Viewed 427 times
IMG_5846.cropJPG.jpg
IMG_5846.cropJPG.jpg (39.02 KiB) Viewed 427 times
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Re: Some ID Help Please

Post by R. Rock »

Hi,
#1: 'September Sun' ? Just a shot w/o much research. The first name that came to mind.
Be part of the solution
Kas

Post by Kas »

I was thinking Gold Standard and Elegans. Could be wrong on those, but that's what mine look like this time of year.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Hi, Linda. I totally understand your problem!

#1 makes me think Paul's Glory. The leaves are a little too beefy for Gold Standard, IMO. You'll know for sure when it blooms (both timing and appearance).
#2 is Elegans or Big Daddy or one of a number of h. sieboldiana cultivars. Barring information to the contrary, you can call it Elegans.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'm not at all clear how many different plants you are showing there. Three? or one plant photographed at different times of the year?

Can you provide more information -

Vein count

Colour of petioles

Colour of flowers and flower stalk

Do they stay the same colour all year or change colour. If the latter, HOW do they change?

Are the flowers fragrant? And WHEN do they bloom?

And while they look to be quite large, hosta pictures can be very deceiving because of the variety of leaf sizes. Can you please provide measurements?

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Ann: it's 3 pics of 2 hostas. Measurements and vein counts are in the original post, but I'm not sure if they were there before. I didn't even bother looking at that when I saw the plant label as a size reference. :)
guardbear
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by guardbear »

Thanks for looking everyone. The green hosta does resemble Gold Standard -- although the leaf shape especially at the tip is different than the hosta I have that I know is Gold Standard. But again, very, very close so maybe so. It isn't Paul's Glory as I already had two of those prior to purchasing the one in question. For the blue hosta, Elegans (or a close cousin) was my thought also. Spent yesterday moving hosta after hosta to new bed so everyone can breath a little better. :) More to do, but getting a bunch done sure feels good.
Thanks again.
New Topic Post Reply