Secret Trade Received!! 2010

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

steg
USDA Zone: 5

Secret Trade Received!! 2010

Post by steg »

Judging by the packages that went out yesterday and today I thought I'd get it ready.

Please feel free to post here when something arrives in the mail. :D :D :D :D

I know everyone is anxious, but remember packages do not have to be out until the end of next week. I've got mine picked out and will get it ready to go out Monday morning. I hope my person can wait. :D

Mike
Last edited by steg on Jun 03, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
steg

Re: Secret Trade Received!! (Not yet, Getting ready) 2010

Post by steg »

:D :D

:beer: :beer: :beer:
Last edited by steg on Jun 03, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

judyg163

Re: Secret Trade Received!! (Not yet, Getting ready) 2010

Post by judyg163 »

Hi All,
I recieved mine today. This is my first secret trade and I am extremely happy.
I recieved Touch of Class
Cutting Edge
Fantasy Island
and Kiwi SunLover
They are absolutly georgous plants. Thank You so much Aaron from Ohio. They are already planted.
JudyG163
judyg163

Re: Secret Trade Received!! 2010

Post by judyg163 »

Hi Mike,
I am very delighted with my secret trade. OK, I need help PLEASE. I recieved my plants, now what? I have plants in mind for my trade. I saw how they were packaged. I can do that. I address it to my secret trade and take it to the post office Monday. I tell them I need a tracking #??? Now, I am lost. I need to give the tracking # to who? Sorry.
JudyG163
John

Post by John »

Judy, if you are using Priority Mail from the Post Office, they will ask if you want Delivery Confirmation. That's what you need, then send the number to Mike (steg) by PM.
John

Post by John »

Hey, I'm back again, this time to post that my secret trade has arrived!

Yes, a package arrived safely this morning, and in excellent condition, from our own gardnnkd. He chose three hostas, all of which are new to me:

CANDY DISH--- this one is so piecrusted it looked like ornamental kale! I have nothing like this, and it will be prominently displayed.

ON STAGE--- awesome coloring the gold in the leaf actually approaches orange, love it.

SWOOSH--- fantastic streaked breeder, I am already planning crosses!

THANK YOU, grdnnkd, I am thrilled with the hosta selections you shared with me from your garden!

John
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:D WOW

Great hostas both of you :D
Touch of Class is one of my favorites and sending John a breeder hosta :lol: great idea :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Judi

Post by Judi »

Today was a good day…I received my box of hostas…already! :D

They came from Kristin – Gardengirl13 and were packaged wonderfully and she included labels for them!

She sent me …

Fragrant Bouquet – which is a beautiful hosta and I love it!

High Society – Wonderful! It is a sport of June and anything June is great. I am not familiar with this one, so it will be fun to watch it grow!

She also sent 2 hostas with no names…poor babies! Everything needs a name and I think these might be Gold Standard and Golden Tiara…both nice hostas.

Thank you, Kristin…they are all super additions to my garden.

Judi
loyal & true
USDA Zone: 7aOklahoma

Post by loyal & true »

Wow, what a great surprise I received when I got home yesterday....a wonderful package from Margery! She sent me 5 hosta that I have never seen in person and I love all of them :D
Kifukurin Ko Mame--absolutely the cutest little thing
Lakeside Baby Face--my first Lakeside!
Kabitan--I love the color and the ruffles
Wylde Green Creme--the shape and color is great
Sparking Burgundy--the red petioles are beautiful

I have been reading this forum for years and am so glad that I finally got the nerve to participate! Marge, thank you so much. The plants were in great shape and are a welcome addition to my garden. I will think of you and your generosity every time I look at them!

Mary
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

I am lucky enough to get John as my secret sender!!! I was doing a home vacation last week so I didn't have time to post since we don't have internet at home. I mailed my hostas out to Judi (so glad you like them!!- the Fragrant bouquet is so pretty! Mine (even in a bit of late day sun) is doing so well! I'll have to have you tell me which hostas are which so I can label them at home) later in the day I had forgotten about the trade and up comes the mail lady to the house with my hostas! I got them so quick!!!!

I got three from a wish list I'm running and two surprises as well!

I got
twist of lime
night before christmas
raspberry sorbet
purple lady fingers
and creme something I forgot at the moment

Almost all food related names! I love it, it's like a theme!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I love them all! (my husband helped me plant them then spent 40 minutes doing the crossword puzzle from the newspaper they came in! :lol: )
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
John

Post by John »

Happy to hear you liked them, gardengirl13! The secret trades are great fun, and I love it when I have a few from my person's wish-list. I think the last one was 'Crepe Soul'; I didn't notice the food theme! I also enjoy seeing the newspapers from other areas of the country.
ZZTOPSOIL
Location: Oregon(O.S.U.~Go Beavers!)...In the Beautiful Willamette Valley!

Thank You Mary!...How Wonderful!

Post by ZZTOPSOIL »

What a Great Surprise!
Nothing More Can be Said than that.
We Returned from a Weelend Graduation and there was My Package.
Mary(mjjones453) Sent Me this Wonderful Box of Hostas that Arrived on Friday.
All Wrapped in Green Christmas Tape...What a Great Present it is.
These Plants are Just Beautiful!

Mary Sent Me these Beautiful Hostas...
(And These are All New Varieties to My Garden).

Lakeside Kaleidoscope.
Lemon Frost.
Richmond.
Savannah Supreme.

and...
TB Lavender Iris from Her Father's Garden,
(What a Treat...and Thank You for Sharing these Iris from Your Father's Garden.

Mary the Iris Will Always be Cherished from Your Father's Past.
(Everything is Just so...Beautiful!)

This was Such a Wonderful Box to Receive.
I am so Very Grateful.
"Thanks Mary...(Another Dear Hosta Friend)...for these Great Plants"!

And "Thanks"...to Mike for Hosting the Swap...and Again to Chris and Brian for Allowing Us to Partake in Using Their Forum for Our Little 'Sideline' Hosta Trading Adventure!...
And Again...I Can Not Say it Enough..."Thank You All"!
For Making Hallson's Such a Wonderful Hosta Haven!
-Lelan.
~Growing for Today...Saving for Tomorrows~

My Hosta List
bethreck

Post by bethreck »

It was like Christmas in June when I received my secret Trade on Saturday from hostamanPhil. He sent me four hostas, new to my small collection......Hacksaw, June Fever, Ice Age Trail and Gypsy Rose. He took great care in wrapping and shipping. I wasted no time in getting these beautiful "babies" into their new homes. Thank you so very much, Phil. :D :D :D

bethreck
gardengirl13
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by gardengirl13 »

John wrote:Happy to hear you liked them, gardengirl13! The secret trades are great fun, and I love it when I have a few from my person's wish-list. I think the last one was 'Crepe Soul'; I didn't notice the food theme! I also enjoy seeing the newspapers from other areas of the country.

Yes thank you John! i went home to look last night to post what the name was and saw that it's crepe soul. Actually you inspired me to do a new shade bed. I think I'm going to do one with food names only. Should be fun to try to see how many I can find! I also may get some whimsical ornaments dealing with food too. We'll see what I can find!
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted

To see my photos please visit http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13
mjjones453

Post by mjjones453 »

Lelan, I was a little worried about it getting to you before the weekend! It arrived quicker than I thought. I have enjoyed the swaps, and picking out what I hope that my swappers didn't have. Glad that I could help! I hope you enjoy them! Mary
twoblackdogs

Post by twoblackdogs »

The mail just came - and thank you very much Jenna L. (not sure of your Hallson's name)! Jenna sent First Mate, Emerald Tiara, Silver Threads & Golden Needles, and Herifu. All are new to my garden. Now I have to do a little research to see where to put them. Thanks again for sharing some of your garden with me Jenna.

Lela
JennaJ
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JennaJ »

You are very welcome Lela--I'm glad you like them! They can all take quite a bit of sun (they are all planted under my deck on the southwest side of my house, so they got afternoon sun). Take care!
steg

Post by steg »

Just wanted to let everyone know that Ginger sent a great package - 2 in fact!!

One package was from Chris and included Geisha and a great bonus plant. Geisha is one I lost this past winter, so I was very excited to see it again (and in much better shape :beer: )

She also mailed a package from home that contained Serendipity. This one has a special place in my heart. Also in the box were a Hosta Finger (very good for the kids). Courtney has been using the pointer/finger and quizzing me, "What's this one?" and "this one"......I think she may be destined to be a teacher. :lol:

We also received some wonderful treasure to help us decorate our gardens. A much needed welcome sign being one of them. As soon as the yard dries a little, the kids and I will be off to find their permanent home in the gardens.

Finally, I got a private tour of Ginger's garden by way of a scrapbook. Courtney was the first to look through it, gave it a big hug and said, "It's so cute". :D

Thank you so much Ginger, you out did yourself.

AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

Thank you Jo (don't know your login id and couldn't find you in the trade list.

You did your homework. I have a pretty big list and I got 5 NEW hostas:
Bitsy Gold - for the mini bed
Richmond (I love the Mildred Seaver hostas)
Gilt By Association (love those ripples)
Otome No Ka - another for the mini bed
Winter Vision - couldn't find a pic on this one, but looks like a good one

Thanks for the time you spent getting my presents together and sending them off. I love them.

Edited to add: since you live to close and I have your address - look out, some of us hostaholics may need to visit. Do you know Jeff White in Waterloo, too?
AlwaysWeeding
My Hallsons Page -- viewtopic.php?t=44071&highlight=alwaysweeding
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I sent it out in such a hurry, with kids misbehaving, I forgot to put the note in and extra newspaper for stuffing. Glad they got there okay! No tours here. I don't have enough shade, so alot are planted out in wide open sun. They can look pretty sh*tty come summer. Add getting hit by frost and my worst year for slugs, and even I can hardly stand to look at 'em.

It was a challenge finding something you didn't have that looked ok. Some of those were newer to me, so I hope the smaller root systems will do.

Jo/Hosta12_Ia
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
New Topic Post Reply