I have Paradise Sunset with a yellow sport

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

I have Paradise Sunset with a yellow sport

Post by redcrx »

I didn't think much of it. I thought it was just reverting to Hydon Sunset. I had separated the PS yellow piece and planted it next to my Hydon Sunset - they looked the same. I was getting some pictures this evening and by chance decided to get a picture of the leaf base. The yellow sport was speckled while the Hydon Sunset was just plain green. I checked Zilis's hostapedia and he discusses 3 different types (plants) of Hydon Sunset - oh good what do I have?

I threw in a picture of Jaz for fun. I was out getting shots of recently added plants when I ran into this question.
Attachments
Hydon Sunset 2010
Hydon Sunset 2010
Hydon Sunset leaf base
Hydon Sunset leaf base
Paradise Sunset yellow sport 2010
Paradise Sunset yellow sport 2010
Paradise Sunset yellow sport leaf base
Paradise Sunset yellow sport leaf base
Jaz 2010
Jaz 2010
Last edited by redcrx on Jun 24, 2010 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: I have Paradise Sunset with a yellow sport

Post by redcrx »

Here are a couple of shots in mid- April - many plants were early this year.

Grenfell & Shadrack in their encyclopedia have a similar picture with the caption "Hosta 'Paradise Sunset' reverting to H. 'Hydon Sunset'".
Attachments
Paradise Sunset & sport  April 9, 2010
Paradise Sunset & sport April 9, 2010
Paradise Sunset & sport  April 16, 2010
Paradise Sunset & sport April 16, 2010
Last edited by redcrx on Jun 24, 2010 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
jgh

Re: I have Paradise Standard with a yellow sport

Post by jgh »

You've got me pretty confused, Ed

Paradise Sunset is a margined sport from Hydon Sunset. It often throws off all-yellow sports that are indistinguishable from Hydon Sunset and most people just call them "reversions" and label them as HS.

Paradise Standard is a sport from Gold Standard, which is a sport from Hyacinthina, a bluish-green Fortunei. PS is a color changer. Marco Fransen, the originator, describes it on his webpage as "Green changing to yellow leaves, yellow changing to white margin, 'Gold Standard' sport." So if the sport stays yellow with no margin, you'd just say it is a yellow Fortunei-type hosta. There are some named ones. I grow Twinkles, which is a bright yellow in the spring but it turns to green fairly early in the season.
redcrx

Re: I have Paradise Sunset with a yellow sport

Post by redcrx »

Sorry for the confusion. I mislabeled a couple of the photos. I have correct that.

My question is the labeling "problem" with Hydon Sunset since there seems to be a few versions. I'm guessing there is a version with speckles on the petioles. Where my HS is plain green. Zilis mentions a name change for one of the versions to Dawn. The hosta library has a picture. It might be that my HS is really Dawn.
New Topic Post Reply