Hallson gathering group photo - 2010

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Re: Hallson gathering group photo

Post by renaldo75 »

I finally got there!! :D I had such a great time Saturday. Made all of the driving worth it.
Getting to meet & talk with so many of you for the first time was great!! I wandered the sales area
and the hosta growing area many times. The food was all delicious. I especially liked the baked spaghetti
of Chris's that I've been hearing about for years. Couldn't stop eating it. So yes - you need to keep
making it, Chris. :wink:

The afternoon plant swap was fun - got some nice plants I didn't have before from it. Then at the auction
I added a few more that I didn't have. Got one really nice streaked Continental Divide seedling that has
pods on it. That was a nice prize!! :D Then we got to paint leaves and there were some interesting ones that
came out of that. I'd never painted a leaf before & that was a lot of fun. Especially the memories generated
at the table where Brian, Art, Linda Port and I were sitting. Priceless. Thanks to Brian. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After the reaction I got to my 'Six Degrees of Hosta Separation' quiz at my get-together, I decided not to
subject anyone to actually taking it there. I included the quizzes in the Halcyon info I handed out. I'll post the
answers early next week. [When I remember to do it.] So everyone will have all weekend to try to get the
correct answers.

On Sunday, Linda Port and I went over to Hidden Lake Gardens to see the Hosta Hillside there and the
conifer collection. We had so much fun wandering around there. I hadn't had a chance to see the conifers
last year when we toured there with the AHS convention so I was glad I had the chance to get there this year.
We both discovered some very nice and extremely inexpensive starts of conifers outside the gift shop.
We both had to get a new one called 'Nuclear Blast' that bears a strong resemblance to a Charlie Brown
Christmas tree. :lol: Had to have it!! The woman in the gift shop said it's so new that she doubted we
could find anything about it on the internet yet.

I took a lot of pics at Hidden Lake and the growing fields at Hallson's but after I saw Mike taking pics of
people, I put my camera away. I knew he'd have it covered.

Linda & I followed Art & Lynn over to Walter's Gardens in Zeeland on Monday. Had a great time!! CH Falstad
and Amy Bergeron treated us to lunch and the grand tour of their facilities and growing fields. After touring
the indoor facilities with Amy, we went to lunch and then the farm. The hibiscus seedling bed [4 acres - ??]
was overwhelming, but VERY cool to walk from one side to the other. Then we got to see the seedlings that
Hans Hansen has under observation and a lot of his seedlings from this past winter. Naturally he has some
pretty cool plants. Before we left, we got to walk thru their test gardens where the new sports are grown near
the parent plant. There are some interesting things in there as well. But most of what we saw there has already
been introduced.

Then we had to head back west and to reality again. **heavy sigh** But it was a great hosta weekend!!!
So good to see everyone and have a chance to talk!! And to have such wonderful hosts as Chris and Brian!! :D
They were great as always!!! :cool:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

renaldo75 wrote:

After the reaction I got to my 'Six Degrees of Hosta Separation' quiz at my get-together, I decided not to
subject anyone to actually taking it there. I included the quizzes in the Halcyon info I handed out. I'll post the
answers early next week. [When I remember to do it.] So everyone will have all weekend to try to get the
correct answers.

working on my quiz now.....open book of course :lol: :lol:
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I'm expecting great things from you, Mike!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
steg

Post by steg »

talk about pressure.....

FYI - Love the short story, very creative.

Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I'm a bit late in posting as it's been a little busy here. Our vet called today with the results of Jasmine's urine culture. She has a severe urinary tract infection which is resistant to most antibiotics. She will have to be on one of the strong, expensive ones for a month to make sure the infection is knocked out. I'm just happy to know what's wrong and that we can do something about it. My sister, nephew, and great nephew are also up for a visit.

The group pic turned out great! :cool: We had a wonderful time. It was so nice to visit with old friends and it was a pleasure to meet Joan, Herbie, Lela and Mike. We brought two cameras and did not take a single picture. :???: The food was great, as always. The hosta trade and the acution were lots of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the leaf painting. There were some beautiful leaves. Mike's (hostadesigner's) was fantastic!

Steph and Mike shared a piece of Blue Arrow with me. :D I was one of the hosta addicts scoring hosta seedlings from Paul's trunk. :lol: Thanks to all three of you. You're so sweet. I came home with some lovely hostas and sedums and a hardy hibiscus for my mom.

Thank you Chris and Brian for being such wonderful hosts. You always do a fabulous job organizing this event and making all of us feel comfortable and welcome. I can't wait until next year!
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

No pressure, Mike - none at all. :lol:

It's amazing what I can come up with after a couple of scotches... :???:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
twoblackdogs

Post by twoblackdogs »

I had a great time meeting lots of new people in person. What a lot of fun! I had a hard time not coming home with a bunch of new plants, but I did manage to get some nice ones in the trade and score some of Paul's seedlings from the back of his car. Of course like most potlucks there was an overabundance of most excellent food. Who has the recipe for that bean & corn dip that was gobbled up in what seemed to be seconds?

I am very much looking forward to driving over and seeing people next year!

Lela
steg

Post by steg »

I think that was Paul.....

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=51892

pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Hey Lela, yep that was me. Thanks Mike for posting the link. I hope your seedlings do well for you, keep me posted.
It was great meeting you and let me know how the salsa turns out for you.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
twoblackdogs

Post by twoblackdogs »

Thanks Paul! I will be making it this weekend for a BBQ. I also passed the recipe on to two other people who I know will love it!

Will keep you posted on the seedlings. Bad gardener me - they are still in their pots in my holding bed - it's simply been too dang hot and I'm tired of coating myself with DEET just to go in the yard. Next week brings a promise of much better gardening weather.
steg

Post by steg »

bump up from last year.......

Start marking you calendars for 2011, it's just around the corner :beer:

New Topic Post Reply