Instant shade

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
desicody

Instant shade

Post by desicody »

Need some advice for creating instant shade for a hosta bed 15' X 25'. The apple tree that was providing shade needs to be cut down in the next couple of weeks, and I don't want to subject the hostas to direct sunlight this summer.

Any suggestions for where to buy shade fabric & tall posts or any suggested websites for making simple shade pergolas? (I don't want to trample the hostas too much - so need a temporary fix until fall when I can have a more elaborate pergola built.)

Any pics would be appreciated too!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Instant shade

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Are your hostas up already? If not, or if they are just starting like mine are, then they will likely adapt to the sunlight situation as they grow. I doubt that any established hostas would actually die from being in full sun, though they might get the August uglies later in the summer.

I'm getting pretty good with the quick building of pergolas and just extended a portion of ours this spring to add another 12 feet x 36 feet of coverage over the nursery. I'll try to get some pictures for you. It is not elaborate so you wouldn't need to dig a lot of post holes but getting the beams up requires quite a bit of help.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I have provided pretty decent shade by planting a boatload of tall sunflowers interspersped between the hostas. It is a temporary fix granted, but here where I live, in full sun, they get ugly by june even with adequate water.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

this topic comes up every year... try using the advanced search and look do shade shelter in the hosta forum... lots of hits with examples and discussions.

For example,
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43353&hilit=shade+shelter
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51368&p=450549&hili ... er#p450549

from 2007 and 2009 give you a pic of my shelter

I use 60% shade cloth. I bought mine a while ago, so I don't know who has the best deal right now. I know I checked dimensions on the cloth before I built the shelter, so I could use a standard piece rather than overlapping or spending extra for unusual size...
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Where are you located? I have several hemmed and grommeted, roughly 10 x 20' pieces of shade cloth used only one season (in Upstate NY). PM me if interested.

I had two apple trees cut down and will also need to create temporary, fast shade. Sunflowers are a good suggestion. I am going to plant Ricinus (Castor Beans) because they grow just as fast and 5-6' tall. They will not attract varmints and if they do, the seeds are poisonous :cool: .

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Helianthus salicifolius can be an anual or perennial depending on your zone. Got a little plant last spring and it grow fast and filled out well too.
Here we can bye some sail like shade cloth things 3,5 meter on each side rather cheap... just need some poles or trees or something and some line to fasten them.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I have received your PMs, desicody, but it appears you are not receiving my replies.

The shade cloth is heavy. Please tell me where you are located so I have an idea whether shipping cost would be within reason.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
jgh

Post by jgh »

BTW - if you use a shade structure of some sort, remember to include calculations for sun angle. For me, I have to treat about the first 3' of ground along the south edge of shelter is actually a sunny garden - that's with shade cloth 8 or 8 1/2 feet high above the ground. Likewise, the shadow is cast across about 3' on the north side of the shelter.
New Topic Post Reply