Is this Lancifolia???

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Is this Lancifolia???

Post by party_music50 »

I think this is my 5th year with this hosta -- it was given to me as Lancifolia, but I've always questioned that. I checked and the leaves are roughly 5" long, which seems too short.

~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Is this Lancifolia???

Post by Tigger »

I'd have to check (memory isn't what it used to be!) but shouldn't Lancifolia have some speckles on the petioles? This color doesn't seem as rich, and the leaves do look a little short.

David
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for the reply David. I looked it up in the hosta book for size/characteristics before I even posted, and I think this hosta doesn't even come close to the description of Lancifolia. lol! The leaf size and vein count seems wrong, and I couldn't detect any red speckling anywhere, but I'm no expert like many of you are.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

At first glance it looks like lancifolia to me. Being up against the house like that might be keeping it a little smaller. When it flowers you could post pictures again.

David, if not lancifolia, what else would you suggest?
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Looks like the lancifolia I have growing in deep shade. With more sun, the leaves are more elongated, but my shade-dwellers (also directly under a soul-sucking maple) have shorter, smaller leaves.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

I think there's a chance it is Lancifolia, but would want to see blooms to be sure. Other options would be something like Raspberry Sorbet, but the substance here is more like Lancifolia. Since Lancifolia is on my top 10 list of found/pass-along hostas, I'd say stick with the ID.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

What about the all green form of Ani Machi - I don't have one to compare? My Raspberry Sorbet has more ripples in the leaves though.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

Chris, I always forget that the flowers are used for ID purposes. :oops: I'm thinking they aren't as dark as I expected them to be, but will check for sure this year.

kaylyred, it never occurred to me that sunlight would make that kind of difference in the leaves, but I'd say this hosta gets a mix of conditions more like part sun. It has a southern exposure, but is partially shaded throughout the day. BTW: the 'soul sucking maple' cracks me up! :lol:

Tigger, I've got Raspberry Sorbet so know that's not what it is. This guy came in a trade. I sure do hope that someone reminds me to get photos of the flowers this year. :)

redcrx, I'll have to do some research to see what that is...

Thank you for the replies! :)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

It finally stopped raining so I could go poke at my Lancifolia. The red speckles only last a couple of inches along the petiole from the ground. Worth checking.
party_music50

Post by party_music50 »

OMG, I pushed everything back to inspect it and there are red (brownish red?) speckles and noticeable striations all up the stems, from the ground to 5" up or so. By striations I mean vertical lines of reddish color that are about 1/4" long. Weird. I have never noticed them before because I always look from the top. lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
loisf

Post by loisf »

When we moved into our home 13 years ago, we had tons of Lancifolia along our driveway and in another area, tons of a very small hosta that looks and flowers just like Lancifolia but is much smaller. These clumps have never gotten any bigger than 12" across. I haven't checked for spots on the petioles, but I will. These small plants get plenty of late afternoon sun and grow in an area that has many other varieties of hosta that grow according to expectations. I have never been able to figure out what they are if not Lancifolia.
New Topic Post Reply