Garden Standouts

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Garden Standouts

Post by ViolaAnn »

Pia, Thank you. My local hosta dealer was sold out of 'Liberty' when I wanted it 2 years ago. So, a friend up the valley, picked one out for me from a dealer closer to her. She opted for a slightly larger plant as the price difference was not significant. I'm the beneficiary.

I've got a few others that are looking really good this year. 'Cutting Edge' looks like it took some steroids last year. To be honest, I'm not sure it will have a long time in my garden as it's too large now. I hadn't expected quite that much growth. It may be a candidate for the hosta garden at my church.

'Jewel of the Nile' is truly a stunner.

The old fashioned 'Fortunei Aureomarginata' is another stunner.

And I'm very pleased with a streaked sport of 'Pewterware' that was a gift from the same friend up the valley.

Finally, 'Regal Splendor' is looking good and I planted a number of smaller hostas around its base. Of course all of them will look better when the Linden tree stops dropping stuff and when I get the spent tulip and crocus foliage out of the garden.
'Cutting Edge' on steroids
'Cutting Edge' on steroids
'Jewel of the Nile'
'Jewel of the Nile'
'Fortunei Aureomarginata'
'Fortunei Aureomarginata'
'Pewterware' - a streaked sport
'Pewterware' - a streaked sport
'Regal Splendor'  Around its base are, (L-R) 'Halcyon', 'Ripple Effect'. 'Full Moon' and not visible on the other side is 'Blue Ivory'.
'Regal Splendor' Around its base are, (L-R) 'Halcyon', 'Ripple Effect'. 'Full Moon' and not visible on the other side is 'Blue Ivory'.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Of course, sometimes it's not the individual plants that make you look twice, but rather the combination of plants.

I've got a couple of spots that are particularly pleasing to MY eye. One is a corner between two Lilac bushes. This are will sometimes get some afternoon sun. Looks particularly nice this year as my 'On Stage' has finally become a good size and so is 'Lakeside Shoremaster'. The area is finished off with a Lemon-Lime Heuchera and a Japanese painted fern.

The other has 'Fire Island' as its centre point. On the left is 'Little Sunspot' and on the right a very new 'Paradise Island'. Behind PI is a 'Red October' and behind them all is a sizeable 'Francee'.
Garden by the Lilacs
Garden by the Lilacs
Garden with 'Fire Island'
Garden with 'Fire Island'
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Absolutely beautiful Hostas! My list just keeps getting bigger and bigger and I don't have much room left. Can't wait till mine grow up so I have more to look at.
Owen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

ThinkI need a lemon-Lime Heuchera :D

ogrefcf... We warned you :lol:

Think you still have holes to fill out. But you caan start to look for beautiful pots to hang on your fence :wink: Hostas looks good in pots too :D
Just do not have any idea of your winthers, so you have to ask around.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I called it "Lemon-Lime" Heuchera and even then it didn't sound right. Just looked it up. The proper name is 'Lime Rickey' and it IS a nice bright spot and will stay that way long after 'On Stage' greens up.

I just divided the Japanese Painted Fern - have had it 6 years and it didn't seem to be growing fast, but upon examining it, I could see a lot more growth this year and clear places where I could divide it.
Ann
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

thy wrote:
ogrefcf... We warned you :lol:
Yes you did! I don't think I mind it though. Just need more money and land lol!
Owen
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Just need more money and land lol!
When you run out of land, you start helping your neighbours to garden. Or you take over the hosta garden at your church.
Ann
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

My old house had a small city lot. next door neighbourg was a grosery shop
renaldo once told me to use their shopping carts for planting my hostas on the parking lot :lol:
Didn't have the force and nerve, but would have loved to see their eyes :cool:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

My favorite right now is this grouping of Tom Schmid (x2) and three greens- Rosedale Spoons, Manhattan, and Lily Pad. Lily Pad and Rosedale Spoons both particularly catch my eye this year

New Topic Post Reply