Crushed Hostas

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Crushed Hostas

Post by ogrefcf »

Had a wind storm come through and do a number. Branches everywhere including my work car windshield lol! One of my S&S got crushed, do I clean the leaves up or just leave it be?

Thanks,

Owen
Owen
scootersbear

Re: Crushed Hostas

Post by scootersbear »

sucks but I'd leave them they still will do there function, cut them and expect smaller hostas next year
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

I agree. My hail damaged hostas looked terribly beat up, but I left the leaves despite how ragged they looked to keep feeding the plant energy. Most of the leaves didn't die, but I did cut off the ones that yellowed (usually where the petiole was almost entirely snapped off to begin with). A friend from another forum had massive hail and microburst damage to her hostas and cut one back entirely as an experiment while leaving the rest alone. The ones she left are fine, but the one she cut back is set back and much smaller this season.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Okay, thanks Kay and Scoot. That's kinda what I figured. As long as there some green it can get sun to the roots.
Owen
New Topic Post Reply