Anyone familiar with big green hunk coming off Pathfinder?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Anyone familiar with big green hunk coming off Pathfinder?

Post by redcrx »

I separated a large green piece from my Pathfinder this Spring and potted it. Now I have a really big green hunk with very thick leaves that are virtually round 7 in by 7 in.
Attachments
Family portrait minus the original that went back into the garden
Family portrait minus the original that went back into the garden
green Pathfinder
green Pathfinder
nice round leaves
nice round leaves
a couple leaves got pinched causing this angel look
a couple leaves got pinched causing this angel look
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Anyone familiar with big green hunk coming off Pathfinde

Post by Angel3K »

This is not a reply, but I seem to have same question as you.
I came home with "Dancing in the Rain", looks like your pathfinder, but one of the little plants was all green leaves.

Now, knowing that it is a sport of "blue umbrellas", was I to keep this unusual pure green leaves or separate it from the rest of the pack, just like you did?

Angie
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I pulled the green hunk off because it was aggressive and I was afraid it would "takeover" the plant. I have 3 large white centered plants in a row (Enterprise, Lakeside Love Affair and this Pathfinder) and I wanted to keep that look so a huge green hunk had to come out. In chopping it off, I also ended up with another Pathfinder and a piece I couldn't split at that time.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ed, I had a number of Pathfinder tissue culture liners a few years ago, and at least half of them
had these big green hunks in them. I think I gave them all away, don't seem to have kept any.
It was a really vigorous green sport, and it got quite large, much larger than Pathfinder.
Now the one Pathfinder I have left has a sport on it that looks exactly like 'Midnight at the Oasis'.
I have that one in the garden also, so I can compare them side by side. Seems like Pathfinder
is quite prone to sporting.

Angel, I would take the green sport off as soon as possible, or you will likely end up with nothing
but the green part. Dancing in the Rain is not a vigorous grower and will give way to the all-green
sport in a hurry. So, separate it, and plant it out so you can watch it to see if it's anything worth
growing.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

Hi Linda,

Thanks very much for your reply.

It rained today, and after the rain, I just took the whole plant out of the pot. I hose it down, power hose and untangle the roots. Then, I took away the green baby where I can observe it, in another pot. The two other plants were nice, I put it in a decent pot, so she can grow. :)

Angel
New Topic Post Reply