Hosta edging

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Hosta edging

Post by ogrefcf »

So I decided I wanted to do a edging of Hosta's around my pergola with the swing. Searching some old post's it seems the Tiara family off Hosta's might be best, specifically Golden and Emerald Tiara. It will be a higher traffic area and from what I read these can handle a little bit of abuse from time to time and grow like weeds. I guess my question is does anyone now where I can purchase some that are disease free? They seem to be a pretty common Hosta and can be found for cheaper, but worried about HVX and quality. Chris doesn't have them, so can't get them from him. Any one have any suggestions? Also Chris if this inappropriate to ask here, let me know and I will delete it. Thanks!

Owen
Owen
eastwood2007

Re: Hosta edging

Post by eastwood2007 »

Blue Cadet would be a good one, too. It may be a little more readily available...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

'Allan P. McConnell' makes a great edger. Fast growing and easy to divide. or if you want a smaller one, I've also used 'Kifukurin Ko Mame'. And the 'Blue Cadet' mentioned above. Am also developing an edging of 'Cracker Crumbs' and in another part of the garden, 'Lemon Frost'.
A fairly well established border of 'Allan P. McConnell'
A fairly well established border of 'Allan P. McConnell'
Border of 'Kifukurin Ko Mame' with APM right behind it.
Border of 'Kifukurin Ko Mame' with APM right behind it.
'Blue Cadet' - Some of this has been here for a couple of years. Some was just divided this last spring. it's a dark corner where a lot of other hostas have not done well.
'Blue Cadet' - Some of this has been here for a couple of years. Some was just divided this last spring. it's a dark corner where a lot of other hostas have not done well.
'Cracker Crumbs' border, some of which was divided just this spring.
'Cracker Crumbs' border, some of which was divided just this spring.
'Lemon Frost' - the plants at either end were divided at the end of the 2009 season. The ones in the middle, just last spring.
'Lemon Frost' - the plants at either end were divided at the end of the 2009 season. The ones in the middle, just last spring.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
billfosburgh
USDA Zone: 5

Post by billfosburgh »

i have golden tiara, how many would you need? i can spare some
CCH Mt. Views Art of Deception ( Sly )
CH Andreas Crybaby Emma ( 2009 CH female UKC World Show )
CH HBCH Gotta Go Freakin Deacon
LPCH LPRCH Big Country Mo JO
Schattenfreude
USDA Zone: 5b - 6a

Post by Schattenfreude »

I would also recommend Blue Cadet as mine have grown and multiplied really well over the years. But mine easily get 12-15" tall, so maybe that's too large for you. Chris carries a variegated form of Blue Cadet called Toy Soldier, which I bought this spring and they're growing very well thus far, despite all of the recent heat and getting dappled sun for a couple hours around noon. Maybe others can tell me if Toy Soldier is as vigorous as Blue Cadet.... I'm guessing that it will also get a bit taller than Golden Tiara. Emerald Tiara is a much prettier plant, in my opinion, especially in the spring. It just glows!

I ordered a few mature divisions of hostas that Chris doesn't carry rom Hostas Direct this spring and was not near as satisfied with the size of the plants for the price.

Please send rain!
Kevin in KC
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thanks everyone for the offers! Linds P, has already offered to send me a Golden Tiara, very kind of her. Like I said I want something hardy, because this will be a higher traffic area and I have kids. I read one of Jim's older post and he said this about em, "I like Golden Tiara for edging as it is perhaps the most rapid growing hosta of them all - and if I step on a leaf or run over part with a lawnmower or tear part of the plant out by its roots with a gas-powered weed whacker... GT just takes that as a challenge!" So I think I will stick with GT.

I would like to alternate it with Emerald Tiara for some contrast, so I will look for some of those. Here's a picture of where I want em to go, where the yellow line is. I am putting a flagstone path under the pergola tomorrow inside the yellow line.

Different angle no markings.

Ann thanks for sharing the pictures, beautiful edging.
Owen
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Owen, your pergola is looking great. You've really done a lot with that area this year!
Your Golden Tiara will be on the way as soon as the weather allows. It's just tooooooooo hot right now! :evil:
The clump of GT that needs a new home will likely make enough plants to fill that area in about a year! You may
have to put some of it out on your curb with a 'free hosta' sign. :lol:

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Owen,

I would probably put the golden tiara on the outside, left and right edges of your pergola, and I don't think I'd put it in the back as there might not be enough room. The flowers come up about knee high and might get in the way, but would look nice on the left and right sides.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thanks Linda! I'm really excited to get em in and see the area in a few years when my other Hosta's have filled in.

Chris, the angle the picture is at is bad there's about two and a half to three feet of space behind the swing. I also made it so I can move it forward or backwards.

Here's a picture with the rock in,

Owen
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That really does look very nice, Owen! I am sure you will enjoy spending time out there....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply