Daily Hosta #2 - 'Praying Hands' - add your pics

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Daily Hosta #2 - 'Praying Hands' - add your pics

Post by ViolaAnn »

Name: H. 'Praying Hands'

Description: Each small upright clump is composed of strangely folded, lance-shaped, dark green crinkled leaves, each with a narrow cream border.
Size: Small - (16"w x 14"h)
Origin: unknown
Flowers: light lavender bell-shaped flowers in late summer on 18" green scapes
Added to garden: Spring 2007

This is one of the most unusual hostas in my garden. I tried growing it in two other places before I settled on a narrow bed between two walkways and where it really gets seen. It's now had two seasons in that location. This one holds up well throughout the season with little or no slug or earwig damage.

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... ng%20Hands
MyHostas - http://www.myhostas.be/db/hostas/Praying+Hands
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/p/prayinghands.html

Mine bloomed for the first time this year but the flower scape was not as tall as the leaves and the flower was really hidden down within the leaves.
'Praying Hands' July 29
'Praying Hands' July 29
'Praying Hands' bloom July 29
'Praying Hands' bloom July 29
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Linda P

Re: Daily Hosta #2 - 'Praying Hands' - add your pics

Post by Linda P »

I have Praying Hands planted where I can see it from my deck. Mine was a gift from Jane G here on the forum
in 2004. I just went out and measured it, and it's 24" X 43". So, the registered size is a little bit off on this
one. I have seen others in tour gardens that are as big or nearly as big.
This seems to be a hosta that doesn't appeal to everyone. As it matures, the leaves do tend to widen, but I
am not doing anything to disturb mine. It's still a most unusual look in a hosta, even when the outer leaves
are not so tightly furled.
I had to go back to 2008 to find a pic of mine, and it's quite a bit larger now. This isn't a really good pic, either,
but the only one I seem to have.
Praying Hands June 08.jpg
Praying Hands June 08.jpg (76.05 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Sorry;no pictures of mine, and as with most this is new this year. Purchased at the Southport flower show on 18/8/2011 I absolutely love it about 5 shoots (I deliberately picked this one) and is now planted in a small blue pot. Hopefully it should fill out soon, it's certainly an eye catching hosta very very different and in my opinion outstanding. Vert impressive pictures by the way I must take some of mine.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Mark, DO take pics. If you take the time to rename them they will be come a valuable record of your garden. More than once they've helped me to locate hostas that I had moved late in the season or at times I've diagnosed problems with some of my plants by looking at the pictures. I think we look a bit selectively at the garden when we are in it.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Another my son picked out. His and my wife's favorite. I quite enjoy it too.

Owen
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

The Vinca grows faster than my single Praying Hands.
I trimmed the vinca down, and it is now a nice perennial pot.

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

Thank you Yes I should take pictures but all my plants are in pots or troughs I dont have a garden just a back yard. By back yard I mean a British back yard concrete and walls no soil. looking at the post below I love the way the creeping Jenny is on a circle round praying hands really sets it off well.
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

Mark Raw wrote:Thank you Yes I should take pictures but all my plants are in pots or troughs I dont have a garden just a back yard. By back yard I mean a British back yard
concrete and walls no soil. looking at the post below I love the way the creepign Jenny is on a circle round praying hands really sets it off well.
Mark: nothing but a tiny yard, just enough for kids sandbox, and a barbecue. Hence, in pots. Overwintering these is another story.

Here is a picture that includes the full spread of the Vinca or at least that was the tag. The Heuchera Caramel was the backdrop, and the Hosta Praying Hands was supposed to be the centerpiece.

I have trimmed down the Vinca recently, someone commented that it seems to drown the centerpiece Hosta PH.

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

I agree the vinca could overpower everything but keeping it cut bk may help. If you wanted a maybe more temporary display with that verigation why not try ficus pumila the varigated creeping fig. maybe leave it in its pot and when conditions (weather wise) start to get worse remove the Ficus and keep it indoors and replace it back next year about may?
Last edited by Mark Raw on Apr 27, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

thank you I would take pics but all my hosta are potted, when I mention a yard I dont mean a back garden I mean a walled enclosure of about 25 foot by 17 foot. I am not sure what that is in metres. All my pots are labeled and as the hostga get bigger they are repotted into coresponigly bigger pots. However what the maximum size of pot I can actualy get remains to be seen. Guacamole had to be repotted 3 times last year God only knows what this year will bring, I may have to divide it and give some away !!!!. Praying hands still remains unseen and were in the middle of April well almost into May. Bowden hosta have said they will send me another as a replacement.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

And as we speak it's arrived in the post thank you Bowdens very much apreciated
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Minimal growth this year and it didn't bloom, but it does seem to be doing OK. I also acquired the sport 'Hands Up' and am looking forward to seeing it grow, but it's smaller.
'Praying Hands', June 26, 2012
'Praying Hands', June 26, 2012
leaf June 19, 2012
leaf June 19, 2012
Ann
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I love mine this year.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

'Praying Hands' continues to be happy where I have it. Picture taken July 16, 2014.
Praying_Hands-140716-1sx.jpg
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2015 - July 25. While mine has clearly grown, it hasn't grown quickly. I saw a division at a friend's house that was half the age of mine and twice the size. It was also grown in full afternoon sun. So, I've just moved mine into a location with more sun. We'll see how well it does next year.
Praying_Hands-150725-2s.jpg
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2016 update - new location with lots of sun. It seems to like it, but I may need to move it slightly because the large yellow plant next to it threatens to overrun it.
July 23, 2016
July 23, 2016
Ann
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

2017 update. I haven't moved it and it has grown in the new location. Aug. 5 photo.
Praying_Hands-2017-0805s.jpg
Ann
New Topic Post Reply