'Katherine Lewis' and 'Paradise Joyce'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

'Katherine Lewis' and 'Paradise Joyce'

Post by Pieter »

I've had KL since 2007 and ended up with a small PJ division last year. It wasn't until I saw a new shoot developing on PJ a few weeks ago that it dawned on me how similar it is to KL. Given they both are members of the 'Halcyon' family tree that is not surprising. Late July I had taken a number of KL divisions and made a mental note to self to grow PJ and a similar sized KL division side-by-side to watch them more closely for comparison purposes. Ahead of that happening I thought I'd take these two and have a look to see what sort of differences I could spot.

'Katherine Lewis'
Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Katherine+Lewis
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/k/kathrynlewis.html

'Paradise Joyce'
Hosta Registry - not registered
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Paradise+Joyce
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/p/paradise.html

Here is 'Paradise Joyce' on the left and 'Katherine Lewis' on the right. I don't think we'll notice much difference at all next year when viewing these from above during the course of the growing season.

The difference between them would appear to be visible however on the lower portion of the petioles. KL shows a blush of maroon, PJ has none.

I'll try to remember to update this posting over the course of next year's growing season.

Pieter
Last edited by Pieter on Sep 24, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: 'Katherine Lewis' and 'Paradise Joyce'

Post by redcrx »

Here is a shot of mine yesterday. KL is a year older than PJ.

It was overcast yesterday - I'll try to get better shots.
Paradise Joyce (left) & Katherine Lewis (right)
Paradise Joyce (left) & Katherine Lewis (right)
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

From a couple of days ago. This is a really shady area. The Katherine Lewis always looks lighter than the Paradise Joyce. The Katherine Lewis does show some speckles on the petioles but not as much as yours.
Paradise Joyce & Katherine Lewis  9/21/2011
Paradise Joyce & Katherine Lewis 9/21/2011
Paradise Joyce  9/21/2011
Paradise Joyce 9/21/2011
Paradise Joyce  9/21/2011
Paradise Joyce 9/21/2011
Katherine Lewis  9/21/2011
Katherine Lewis 9/21/2011
Katherine Lewis  9/21/2011
Katherine Lewis 9/21/2011
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

First update for 2012. I have one of each of these cultivars growing side-by-side, so there will be no wondering if it's a location issue, 'Paradise Joyce' is on the left.

One of the differences noted last year was the petioles. This one here is 'Paradise Joyce' and it shows a bit more blush than last year, but still is much lighter in that regard than 'Katherine Lewis'. Also note the difference in the colour of the cataphylls between the two.

And these are the 'Katherine Lewis' pets.

Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
thy

Post by thy »

Will be interesting to follow :wink:
I have allways seen PJ to be way more dusty blue green than KL, but then a foot = a bit more sun, can make a big difference
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jgh

Post by jgh »

I don't grow KL, but have a couple PJ and they are very slow to color up for me. They also had enough mottling in them as they colored to get me to use a couple test strips - negative for virus, just the character of the lightening center. I have yet another from the same group - Olympic Sunrise - sport from KL ... similar characteristics but larger leaves than anything else I have from Halcyon.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

It's now late June and here are the pair of 'em again, they're getting harder and harder to tell apart. PJ on the right.....

Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Swed_Hosta
USDA Zone: 6a Sweden

Post by Swed_Hosta »

Finally, I got a good reason to register on this forum. The topic of comparison of these 2 hosta varieties. For about 2 years I was only lurking here to read all the great info and look at the pictures, but didn't think that I can bring something useful into this forum.

Since I started my hosta collection the similarity of 'Katherine Lewis' and 'Paradise Joyce' in my garden was very obvious to me. I even planted them next to each other to see the difference. Here they are in their 3rd season, same age, same position, sun between 10 am and 3pm, photo taken on June 23.

'Katherine Lewis'

'Paradise Joyce'

As you can see 'Katherine Lewis' is coloring up a bit faster than 'Paradise Joyce'. But later in the season there will be no difference in color at all. Can't say that these two are my favorites, but I hope that they will become more interesting when mature.
My blog on hosta and other garden plants collections
http://olgochka.blogspot.com
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Welcome and thanks for joining the discussion.
New Topic Post Reply