Thoughts on 'Captain's Adventure'?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Thoughts on 'Captain's Adventure'?

Post by kaylyred »

I bought 'Captain's Adventure' last year at the Midwest Regional Convention. At the time, it didn't look quite right, but...it was an immature plant, I wanted it, the price was right...you know how it goes. :-?

It grew with slightly elongated leaves that were oddly cupped--drawstringing, maybe--and never looked quite right all last year. This year, the leaves are heavily cupped and still looking strange. I figured my plant was just a dud. But today I saw a bunch of 'Captain's Adventure' for sale at a hosta society member's plant sale, and they all had the same weird cupping/drawstringing issue going on.

Does anyone have this hosta? What's your experience with it?

Mine certainly doesn't look like this...

~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Thoughts on 'Captain's Adventure'?

Post by Mark Raw »

Isnt it strange how plants can be like this. Yesterday I bought a rather scruffy looking so called Pauls glory, I was taken with the price and I also got a free pot with it woo wooo. But it seems to be all one colour however I have heard it changes as the season progresses and as it gets older it looses the Gold standard look. Sorry I digress I have never had experince with Captains adventure but looking at the pic it loos amazing like a tatto with extra advantages, persivere with it and good luck.
sugar

Post by sugar »

Have some patience. This plant will later in the season transform towards this variegation .
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by irawon »

This one WAS on my list to buy in the future. Thanks for the info.
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

I'll post some photos of mine when it's not pouring outside. It's grown considerably with all the rain, but it's still not looking impressive. At all. And I'm pretty certain it's drawstringing badly. As were all the other juvenile versions of the plant I saw this weekend. :(
~ Karen

See my little hosta list
guardbear
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by guardbear »

Here is a pic of the H. Captain's Adventure I planted in 2011. Sorry it's a little ragged. The leaf coloration seems to vary a lot, depending on age? I do have some cupping and puckering like you mention, and it doesn't look like its advertisements. I'm just chalking it up to age, and I do think it will eventually develop as advertised.

Linda
Attachments
ca crop.jpg
ca crop.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
kaylyred

Post by kaylyred »

Here's mine. Looking pretty sad. To be fair, it is still unfurling, but...I'm not terribly hopeful that it'll be a looker. I hope it proves me wrong.

~ Karen

See my little hosta list
ShortShadows
USDA Zone: 3B

Post by ShortShadows »

captains adventure May 7, 2012
captains adventure May 7, 2012
captains adventure.JPG (25.08 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
I too have a captains adventure purchased last year. I just snapped an image of it and it certainly does not look like the photos. I live in what used to be 3b but now 'maybe' a 4 zone so things are just getting into the swing.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I purchased 2 of them last year. One was potted up, the other went into a raised bed. The potted one now has four shoots and has unfurled. It's cupping, no doubt. And it did the same thing last year.

The other is still only just 2 pips, they haven't begun to unfurl as yet.

Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply