hosta college pic

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
nmb

hosta college pic

Post by nmb »

I asked for a copy of this picture that was shown in one of the classes at Hosta College
it is one of Solberg's it starts out green and turns red from the tips down.
so, what's your opintion???

mary
Attachments
solberg red hosta sm.JPG
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: hosta college pic

Post by Tigger »

Very interesting. Could be very dramatic planted with gold hostas. My DFH (darling future husband—thanks Obama!) is a little shy of these plants that are, in his view, the color of mulch, but I think we'd have to make an exception.

The question, always, is how does it behave in a garden? Previous "reds" only grow in cool greenhouses.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I like it. Does it have a name? It would indeed look nice with solid colour yellow or greens.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Interesting for sure
But.... I do not think I like it :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree, it is very interesting, but I won't be putting down any money until I hear how it actually grows in the garden. Too many of the reds are inferior plants that are prone to disease and rot, so while I'll be anxiously awaiting word on how this does, I won't be first in line to buy it :)
nmb

Post by nmb »

My understanding is that there is no intention of naming/releasing this plant any time soon. I is just one of Bob's breeding plants. He has been working to get the red up the leaf and from the back to the front. This is just one of the intermediate plants he will be using for future breeding.

mary
New Topic Post Reply