Hosta suggestion for a planter

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Hosta suggestion for a planter

Post by ogrefcf »

Need some suggestions for a new Hosta in a planter I made. I helped a neighbor take out a stump and under it was a big piece of round concrete irrigation pipe. It was no longer in use and root had grown all through it. I decided to claim it as a trophy and put it in my bed! It got about a 12" round hole and is two feet off the ground. I think I will put some creeping Jenny in it and let it grow down. I would like a leggy Hosta and something to show off in it since it will be about two feet of the ground. Here's a picture of it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Owen
ogrefcf

Re: Hosta suggestion for a planter

Post by ogrefcf »

Looking at Chris's selection so far I like: Hosta 'Purple Heart', Hosta 'Paradise Island' (really like), Hosta 'Red October', Hosta 'Wheee!', Hosta 'Lakeside Paisley Print' (really like also), Hosta 'The Razor's Edge', and Hosta 'Radiant Star' . Ahhh to many I like!
Owen
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Most will be ok in it but if you want a fountain effect what about a few Wolverines they can get to a decent size and have a cascading effect
jgh

Post by jgh »

You can kind of go two different ways on this. If you are planning for something to grow for a while, then pull it out and put a different one in - you can pick pretty much anthing. If you want to plant and leave the plant, then you want something with a mature root ball that can live in that 12 in diameter. The bigger plants in a container that size tend to "dwarf" - for example, I have a Regal Splendor that will be huge in the ground but in a largish pot stays medium and never gets nearly as tall... even the leaves stay smaller.

I like the Paradise Island idea... or even regular Fire Island if you don't need the irregular margin... or Fruit Punch or Cherry Tart or... meaning there are a lot of nice yellows with red legs that get to show off those legs in a raised planter like that. If you want it to pop, a yellow is the way to go.

Red October or Red Dragon or Katsurugawa Beni or any of the greens with red stems would look nice if you want a more subtle effect. Red Alert gives you a margin on KB for a little extra interest - but for me KB has been vigorous while the tc of Red Alert seem to have taken forever to grow... actually, if you want something a little more exotic, I don't see many Harry van der Laar around, but it is a very nice green with red legs and has an attractive leaf as well. Both Harry vdL an KB have some red up onto the top of the leaf...

We tend to lose more plants in containers here in zone 4, so I put inexpensive plants... nice seedlings or things I have extra of and won't cry if they disappear... so in my garden I'd probably plop a nice division of Emerald Tiara in that pipe and call it good!
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I wouldn't use one of the red legged plants as I find them a little touchy sometimes. Lakeside Paisley Print I would also avoid in a "pot" as it is so slow growing. My first thought after you mentioned using creeping jenny as a cascading effect was to put a Praying Hands in there to complete the fountain/waterfall effect.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thanks for the info Chris. I actually already have a praying hands Creeping Jenny combo and that's why I didn't mention it although I do think it would look great.,

Jim, my Emerald Tiaras are just little guys right now. Though I do have some big golden Tiaras thanks to Linda P. Maybe I'll start with that.

I also don't need to do the creeping Jenny if anyone else has any other suggestions of what might work. I just have a lot of it so it's easy to use.
Owen
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Chris say the red legs may be problematic in your zone... it was one of my thoughts too, the other is a cascading hosta, keep it in the pot for a few years and then transplant or divide it.
Praying Hands have a tiny brother called Hands Up :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

My Praying hamds is extremely slow in coming up all my others are up and some are a very decent size but Ph is still just emerging at about an inch in height, looks like at last its starting to unfurl. Is it usually this slow it's new to me got it last year
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by irawon »

I was thinking along the same lines as Chris, but since you already have a Praying Hands what about 'Hands Up', which I believe has a wider yellow margin. Isn't there a third hosta similar to PH, I just can't think of the name at the moment ...
paul_in_mn
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by paul_in_mn »

Ginsu Knife would look good-
Paul

Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow.
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

What about 'Torchlight'? I have one I picked up this year and so far it's growing beautifully in a pot.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
jgh

Post by jgh »

I just sold a few Ginsu Knife... at a neighborhood garden sale... was suprised they just kind of sat there until we pointed them out to people and showed them the "character" of the leaves and the serration down onto the stem. I think the container idea is a good one to show it off. And Paul - that's a dandy one you've got there!
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Paul love the Ginsu Knife, I will order one for it on my next order. I put in a Blue Mouse ears temporally I had in a pot and add some Creeping Jenny. I'll get a picture tomorrow.
Owen
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Not a great picture, but here it is.

Owen
New Topic Post Reply