Garden Web

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Garden Web

Post by ogrefcf »

I've noticed most people on here don't post on GW. Why? I like Hallson's forums a lot better and I myself stay away from GW for the most part. Just curious.
Owen
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Garden Web

Post by kHT »

Let's just say, there are issues there.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I post there just to try and help, especially when topics contain some misinformation, but there are too many times when I have to just close the browser and walk away from the computer. Brian tells me to just stay away from there :lol:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I check it out occasionally, post only once or twice a year. When Chris started this forum in 2001 (???) or so, many of us
had fled Garden Web due to a lot of issues there with posts that were removed for no reason we could determine, and
many of the long-term members who posted regularly were banned for totally mysterious reasons.
Hallson's is ever so much more friendly, and so many of the members here have become good friends.
Back in the 90's I went to a few events where people from the Garden Web forums gathered, and while I met some
very nice people, there were also some that thought they were a cut above the rest of us.
I've never experieinced that in meeting any of the Hallson's folks. You couldn't ask for a better bunch of people, and that
goes double for our sponsor! :D
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

Personally, I think there's a lot of great information and pics on both forums...I post on both forums and enjoy them very much. :)
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I post a bit on three boards- this one, GW, and Dave's. I developed several nice online friendships and some people at Dave's Garden, but it has been very quiet there lately. I guess many of the regulars moved on when the board changed ownership, I don't know. I stay out of drama on message boards as much as possible. And boy is there drama on GW from what I can tell sometimes.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thanks everyone. I figured something was up. Chris, I really appreciate the forums and all you do with them. I go over to GW every once and a while. I usually scratch my head at some things or end up getting mad. Today was one of them lol. Well, I'm thankful for everyone here. Everyone's been so nice and helpful and I really enjoy the forums. Thanks :beer: .
Owen
jgh

Post by jgh »

hmmm... now you've got me curious... don't hang out there much anymore, but now I'm looking and can't come up with anything angry-making...

oh... maybe you mean the rant on Great Expectations... like the fact that some folks can't grow it, it is carp... even though for those of us lucky enough to have success with it, it is among the very loveliest of hostas... who can argue with an expert?!
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I found Hallsons forum and this is where I stay. Great bunch of ppl and I hope someday to make it to the gathering. :beer:
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I contribute to both forums, though I tend to hang out more @ GW simply because I can remember my password when I'm at work. At home I stay logged-in to this forum, so I don't have to remember it.....
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I first started out on GW but it is rather cumbersome and a pain sometimes. Then I found Hallson's and DG....much easier to navigate. I have a close knit group of birdwatcher friends from DG which spans the country and Australia. We Skype and email. I have meet one that lives in Illinois and I am going to visit one in Pennsylvania next month! I haven't been on GW for 2-3 years now. I really liked some folks here too....but as my interest changed I just didn't have much to add here. But I really spend very little time on any of them anymore. I do have Facebook page and enjoy posting photos there.

But I love Chris and Brian...top notch guys. I love reading about Jim's trips, and checking in to see how Phyllis is doing...so I do check in just to see what is new with everyone! :D
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Okay, got to jump in here! I started on GW several years sgo when I first got into Hosta. Then I found Hallsons and there was no question which one was friendlier.I go back to GW once in a while to see what is going on wirh them tho',, and especially now that they started the Heuchera forum. But the Hallson folks are my people, every one is so great and they all helped me so much when I lost Lew. So here I'll stay with an occasional drift over into Gw, But let's get the Heuchera thread going. If I can figure out where Nona put the cable from my camera to connect it to my computer I will try to post some pix.( Nona had a habit of sticking things in drawers without any system or organization and it is driving me to drink.) I am anal about keeping track of things, I have lists of my lists. :lol:
Lovin' the great northwest!
wendys_garden

Post by wendys_garden »

jgh, I believe Owen was referring to the "what would you do?" thread (currently on page 2). It started out ok, till a well-known GW member put his 2 cents in, and it all went downhill from there.

It can get pretty mean spirited over there sometimes. I am there regularly hoping to glean information and look at the beautiful hosta photos that are posted. But I avoid getting involved in those type of "discussions". Occasionally I post a question, and am always a little fearful that I am going to get slammed for being naive or getting a sarcastic answer, which seems to happen frequently. I think many a newbie has been scared away by the snide comments of some of the "experts".

To be sure, there are many, many friendly people on there, and those people are why I still go to GW.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I'm new here, so don't really know much about this, but one reason i chose to join here was the format. It's much more comfortable for me.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Yes Jim, that person does rub me the wrong way most times lol. I have a little GE I planted last year and it's doing well and growing, hope it continues to do so. I keep the "carp" in my pond :lol: . Yes Wendy is right, that's the thread that got me going a little. I'm just to damn opinionated and it irked me a little. Mostly just the way it was handled. I've seen comments like that several other times and people treated very rudely.

I didn't mean to swat a wasps nest. I could sense and feel the divide. I also think I remember David mentioning something about them. Again, very thankful for Chris, Brian, and everyone else here at Hallsons!
Owen
lykaon78

Post by lykaon78 »

I read and post in both and appreciate that Chris chimes in at both places.

Side note... Chris, thanks for pointing out the June Fever was a Devon Green sport. I guess that was the misinformation to which you were referring.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:lol: Pieter... I have tried to use the same argue... here is what I allways get...." Change your password " :lol: :D

Nanny, sure there are some lovely pics on FB, but somehow they make me a bit sad... they are there for one day, get a lot of LIKES and maybe one or 2 comments, then they disapear.
One of the things I love on this forum is the serious answers and questions.. and the silly things :wink: and the possibillity to stay away for a periode and then come back and read and look and answer an old post ... not to forget the possibillity to seach for a specific topic, I do it once a month or so and love it...

One of the few thing I am a bit sad we do not have is a Special saved area, for the best new info... like the daily hosta and....

The ugly duckling in the Hallson family
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

Some days I check out what's going on, on GW, some days here. I agree, there are some posters who should check their sources before posting on GW and there are some that tend to be a bit clique-Ish, but by and large there are great folks on both forums.

I am on facebook too, and I've found a few great hosta pages and groups there also, esp. the American Hosta Society group. Lots of good pictures on there!

Sandy
jgh

Post by jgh »

Pia... I've known and loved you a long time - and sometimes even I don't know what you are talking about!

WHO is the ugly duckling of the Hallson family. You can't mean yourself... when it comes to ugly, I've got that market cornered. I like to think of you as oure Little (Danish) Mermaid... (except you cover up better and are smarter than to sit out in the harbor...)
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

I used to post there some and just got tired of the sniping I noticed. It's not that there aren't friendly and helpful people on Garden Web--there are!--but there also seem to be a few who aren't very welcoming to newcomers, and not very forgiving if you should happen to say something they disagree with.

Part of what I do for a living involves moderating forums and a Facebook page. And that's enough for me. I decided to opt out of dealing with the negativity that kept rearing its ugly head on Garden Web. And that's a shame. Like I said, there were some very nice, helpful folks there, too, but...one (or more) bad apple(s), etc. etc. :(
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Locked Locked