Okay so I ordered June & High Society

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Okay so I ordered June & High Society

Post by boops »

I was thinking I would put June with High society in front of her in my forsythia garden where there are also two Hermans Pride and a couple of Helleborus planted. I'll be removing the Astilbe as there would not be enough room. It gets morning sun and very late afternoon sun. Any thoughts? :hmm:
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Okay so I ordered June & High Society

Post by Mark Raw »

June is usually happy wherever I dont know high society tho. Is High society another of Halcyons babies? I just looked on library and it looks to have simiilar charcteristics
boops

Post by boops »

Hi Mark-High Society is a sport of June, has blue edge with white center. June has yellow center with blue edge. But you are right June is a sport of Halcyon, so they are in the same family. I'll put them together and see how they look, can always move them or one of them if I'm not happy with the combo. Thanks for the heads up.
My Hosta List

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

yes good idea, maybe plant them in the pots until ya make your mind up. My June is late to emerge I guess other one is same.
Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Phil »

June is possibly my favorite Hosta. :D
boops

Post by boops »

I see on this site-that its a favorite of many. I'm sure I will join her fans! Its so nice to see so many guys interested in gardening-wish my DH was one of them. He admires my gardens but not really interested in gardening. Maybe if I put in a driving range in the yard he would spend more time there. :lol:
My Hosta List

John Polka
USDA Zone: 6

Post by John Polka »

Hah

Sometimes I wish my wife was more interested in gardening. Then I slap myself, my crazy ideas are enough to deal with lol...

Both High Society and June are top notch...

HS is not the fastest growing hosta around... but beautiful... wondering if I provide it with more shade, if the yellow color will stick around longer...
June is June... nuf said..

John
boops

Post by boops »

I guess to each his own hobby-I hate Golf and he hates gardening. So when He golfs I am digging and planting. Happy medium.

I am putting June & High Society in the same garden with same sun exposure. So We'll see. I only have 1 area on my whole property that gets sun almost all day, Right smack in the middle of my front lawn.

So partial Sun is where they are going.
My Hosta List

Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Be careful what you wish for. Not many couples can successfully garden together. If my wife suddenly took an interest in the gardens and tried to impose her ideas, she may not be my wife for long.
boops

Post by boops »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I should count my blessings! He does help by loading and wheeling out the bags of spring cleanup stuff-totaling 62 construction bags of leaves and Pine needles, so I'll keep him around. Anyway after 38 years, don't feel like training a new one. :lol: :lol:
My Hosta List

Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

It doesnt take much sun to colour up June, to be honest I think it looks better in partial sun rather than full too much yellow on it makes it pale out in my opinion
boops

Post by boops »

The area its going gets about 3 hours of sun a day but there is a rather large Forsythia where they are going which does provide decent shade. So we'll see. thanks for the info. :cool:
My Hosta List

kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Buckeye wrote:Be careful what you wish for. Not many couples can successfully garden together. If my wife suddenly took an interest in the gardens and tried to impose her ideas, she may not be my wife for long.
Hah! That happened with my husband. He became just involved enough to be dangerous.

Him: After we pull out these shrubs, I want two 'Empress Wu', one on this side and one on the other.
Me: No. One 'Empress Wu' is enough for me. After all, it's just a huge green hosta.
Him: I need two of them. I love huge green hostas.
Me: No.
Him: Why not? Don't I get a say?
Me: I'll tell you what. Since you're suddenly so interested in gardening, how about you get busy pulling weeds, laying out the soaker hose, putting down compost, refreshing the mulch, edging the beds...
Him: [heavy sigh] Never mind.

"You can have a say on what happens in the garden when you start doing the work in the garden" is my best fall-back position. Works every time. ;)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
boops

Post by boops »

:lol: Excellent!!!
My Hosta List

jgh

Post by jgh »

OK, Karen... only one Wu... but how about a Komodo Dragon on the other side... another great big green hosta for him, and a good hosta for you... if it gets him helping pull out shrubs and he's looking to spend money on hostas, seems like you are in a good spot!
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

I would have said that with "Praying hands" and hoping with "Great expectations£, like the "Drama queen" I am. There is always "Hope" and maybe some "Joy" in the end tho I would put my" Hands up" and know he was going to "Do Little". Then be "Self-assured" and do it myself. :P
boops

Post by boops »

Poets one and all!!
My Hosta List

Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Phil »

kaylyred wrote: Him: After we pull out these shrubs, I want two 'Empress Wu', one on this side and one on the other.
Me: No. One 'Empress Wu' is enough for me. After all, it's just a huge green hosta.
Him: I need two of them. I love huge green hostas.
Me: No.
If one is good, two is better. :D
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

jgh wrote:OK, Karen... only one Wu... but how about a Komodo Dragon on the other side... another great big green hosta for him, and a good hosta for you... if it gets him helping pull out shrubs and he's looking to spend money on hostas, seems like you are in a good spot!
Just so happens I already have a 'Komodo Dragon,' so we're good to go. ;)

He has the 'Empress Wu' now--I got it for him. At the moment, it's in a pot because I have no place to put it. I have no place to put it...because the shrubs are still exactly where they were when we first talked about it--edging the front of the house and growing like weeds.

(Just a side note: If you ever get the crazy notion, like the people who owned my house back in the 80s and 90s did, that planting privet hedges in front of some windows for a "nice formal look" is a good idea, do yourself a favor: bang your own head against the wall several times to knock some sense into yourself. Those things are the most obnoxious shrubs known to man.)
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
New Topic Post Reply