103 for a high today

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

103 for a high today

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, what a hot one. 103 but with a breeze an relatively low humidity it just didn't feel that bad. We were watering non-stop for the past three days (moving the sprinklers around) but stopped today so we don't damage anything. 103 is insane for June and I can't remember the last time we've seen it that hot.

I hope you are all staying cool! We're inside for a little while, then have some more watering to do this evening when it starts to cool down a little more.
Charlie
USDA Zone: 7b

Re: 103 for a high today

Post by Charlie »

It was 106 here day before yesterday and 104 yesterday. You're right it is insane but unfortunately not uncommon here. Good luck with the watering.

Charlie :beer:
Charlie
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

107 here, slight breeze. Hot hot hot.
Water going everywhere, soakers, root zone watering, sprinklers in the shade. Been watering 24/7 for the last three days, it was 103 and 105 respectively before today, in the high 90's for a week before that. Our 3" of rain is loooonnnng gone!

Supposed to be hotter tomorrow thru Sunday.

Sandy
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Only 93 here today. Our warm days were a few days ago, though we never hit a 100. Always 98 and 99. Right now though the whole state seems like it is on fire. We have smoke blocking the sun out and ash falling from the sky onto everything.
Last edited by ogrefcf on Jun 28, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen
John Polka
USDA Zone: 6

Post by John Polka »

Looking at the temp on the bank now... 104.... I dun like it
John
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Chris, it was even hot here today. It was 39C, don't know what that is in F.
I went out around 5 a.m. and watered the hostas in the backyard until 6:30. The front gardens need to be fixed up but I wasn't doing it in this heat, plus the black flies and squitters would of had me for breakfast. LOL There seems to be more of them in the front yard than back.

ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

About a 102.
Owen
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

96 here today, but heat indices around 106. Bleah. :o

We need rain soooo badly. City water is quite expensive here in my little town (our bill runs around $80 a month when I'm not watering the garden), so I try to make do with as little watering as I can, but it's been rough. I've been letting the soaker hoses do their thing overnight once a week, but it still doesn't seem to be sufficient.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

only around 90 here yesterday. Today a heat advisory is on and right now having a thunder and lightening rain storm, high 80's and 90's forecasted for the next few days. Sprinklers system has been going daily as well as AC inside. My water & electric bills are not going to look good. :eek: Hope the rest of the summer isn't like this.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
jgh

Post by jgh »

in the 90s here... and the humidity was high on Wed... it was a "nice" 90 yesterday... but it is the length of the heat spell that has me spooked... over a week of 90's or almost with no precip... lots of watering to do!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Sorry for all the heat back there! High 70 and rain in our forecast for today.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

HI Karma, I guess we are lucky, the weather here has been just right for working outside. But I am having another line on my sprinklers put in. There is no way I can get out and water in the trees.And I noticed that alot of stuff I thought I had lost was coming back, but there was one area along the driveway that the water didn't reach.Of course, everything was set back, so we are sort of 'starting over'.Today so far it is about 64 degrees in my back yard and it is about 8:41 A.M.. Hope things cool off a little for you folks with the 100 plus degrees.
Lovin' the great northwest!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Rosemarie! Get ready for a little heat next week. Loving the rain/mist this am, I just don't do the heat these days.
I have been running all the water off the rain barrels these past few days so that they can fill up again for the back yard.
I do the hand watering for the front due to one outlet has great pressure, I can do it in less than 15 minutes! The north side
I bucket it all due to what needs to be watered, don't want to over water our trees.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
boops

Post by boops »

11AM 85 in the shade. High Humidity-yuk. No outside for me today. Put the water system on, filled the bird baths & feeders and I am in for the day. :cool:
My Hosta List

rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Karma, we are overcast down here, good for working outside.Boops, I can't imagine your heat! When it gets to eighty here I am inside! of course it is harder to handle heat since I got old!! :lol: We get over 95 once in awhile and that is inside weather.
Lovin' the great northwest!
boops

Post by boops »

Its gotta be 90 ish now and I had to go outside because my grandchildren wanted to play in their pool. Only stayed for 20 minutes-back inside AC now, they are only 2 and 1/2 years old, much too hot for them (and me :eek: ) Supposed to be in the high 80's all next week. And I have to pull out 6 montauk daisies to plant helianthus and blue oat grasses at my daughters house. Then rip out vinca and to plant Phlox Paniculata. the plants are coming in 2 weeks. I hope it cools a bit by then.
My Hosta List

Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

We've had 4 straight days of +100 with 108 being the highest. They are predicting it wont get below 100 till next Saturday.......and no rain in sight.
SE Missouri is in a serious drought and it's heading North. Many of the towns here are calling off the fireworks displays. We had the local cops here call all residents here and let them know that anyone shooting off fireworks will be dealt with as opposed to just warning and taking them away as per normal.
boops

Post by boops »

I feel for you Bob-I hate this heat-the thermometer says 90's but the sun is blaring and feels like it 200 degrees out there. We're not in a drought tho. I have a water system on every day and I have been dousing some of my plants with a gallon of water for a deep watering once a week. (not the hosta tho-they seem to be doing very well with the heat, they get regular watering but not drowning them. Keeping an eye on them all for any sign of stress)
Stay cool :cool:
My Hosta List

jonbry123

Post by jonbry123 »

This has been one of the craziest years weather wise that I can recall. I'm in the Poconos 1200ft above sea level and temps have averaged above 90 degrees every day for almost two weeks with only small amounts of rain twice in that time frame. Thunderstorms all around the past few days but no rain from them. Then with the unusual warmth in March then the hard freezes in late April and early May it has been a challenge with the weather. Forecast is now for hotter temps and no rain the next week.
Jon
boops

Post by boops »

we got some rain yesterday AM but the high heat dried it out right away. High 80's and low 90's the rest of this week and next-no real rain forecast for us yet either. Hopefully the forecast will change regarding rain. Hand watering my veggie garden is getting exhausting. Crossing fingers for more rain.
My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply