Doggone critters!!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

John Polka
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Doggone critters!!!

Post by John Polka »

Lol
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by kaylyred »

Chris_W wrote:Yes, I knew that our disdain for critters destroying our gardens would upset some people, and I apologize for that guardbear. We do try to use deterrents first, such as hot pepper for the groundhogs and bloodmeal for other critters, and when it works that is great. But when we start to get overrun with them, such as one season when we had close to a dozen ground hogs tearing this place apart, we had to take some tougher measures. I really do care for the animals around here, but sometimes I'm not left any real choice when their population has exploded. Sorry :(
I can say that I feel disdain for the chipmunks digging in my garden, but...I haven't killed one. (My dogs have, but I consider that nature doing what nature does.) I have trapped and released them near the river, but that's the extent of it. I've thought about harsher methods for dealing with them, but I can't bring myself to do it. I can't bring myself to gas them like my dad used to, or shoot them like he does other vermin. He has raccoons decimating his vegetable crops. His harvest, which he sells at farm markets throughout the summer into fall, represent his meager annual income. For you, Chris, hostas and other perennials represent an income source that needs to be protected. It's not just a garden. For many of us, they also represent a significant investment. So, although I don't like to see any animal destroyed, I try to look at both sides of the coin.

We've come to a point in human evolution where we're not very good about sharing the planet with its critter inhabitants. Maybe when we were living in caves and huts, and we found methods to eradicate animals that threatened our crops or food source, then it was considered more of a natural selection thing--and we were close to the top of the food chain. Now, though, getting rid of "pests" is looked upon differently...but only by some of us. I think there are a great many people who do care, and who would apologize for hurting or endangering a living creature. I'm certainly one such person, and I know many gardeners who share similar feelings. Even those who do find ways to eradicate vermin to protect their livelihoods or even just their investments don't usually do so with "glee." I see some of the talk here as a sort of gallows humor--a way to deal with mixed emotions of anger, frustration, pity and even empathy.

Guardbear, you make some very valid points about helping the critters find a water and food source during drought conditions. I've been trying to put out water regularly, myself. I'll consider putting out food, as well. Thank you for your insight.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by boops »

Everyone does what they feel is the right thing to do for their situation. I have an overabundance of Squirrels in my yard, since I no longer have any dogs, although they do not eat any plants, they dig up bulbs, rampage through my gardens knocking down lily plants and crushing others, attacking bird feeders and the like. I don't feel that is any reason to harm them. In spring my yard looks like Fort Knox, I have cages around everything to prevent them from romping thru my newly sprouting plants or the occasional rabbit eating them, I have hundreds of Daffodil bulbs around and also grow garlic, wormwood and rue here and there. But if my livelihood depended upon it, I would have to agree with Chris and first try natural methods, or traps and sometimes go further. I can't see losing my business because I was too nice to get rid of vermin one way or another, that makes no sense and in this economy I don't blame farm/nursery owners etc. to do what is necessary so they can earn a living to feed their families instead of groundhogs and gophers. I don't think either of them are an endangered species. Also many vermin carry diseases and rabies.
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I agree with Linda on the strychnine usage. I feel it endangers far too many animals, birds and domestic pets. I understand that pests have to be controlled at times, but I do not like to see any animal suffer a horrific, painful death from poisoning.

My garden is quite busy with chipmunk activity right now. I've never had so many. They are filling their cheeks with bird seed and planting it in my hostas. The clumps of sunflower sprouts are easy enough to remove once they start growing. They have now started digging holes near the base of the plants, so it's time to get the live trap out. I may remove the feeders, because I think it is actually attracting them to my yard.
boops

Post by boops »

yeah the strychnine is a bit much for a home garden. Luckily haven't had Chipmunk activity here. I've been feeding birds for years, the squirrels love it, but I put the Safflower seed in hanging feeders and keep the squirrels busy with the cheaper wild bird food on the ground and the occasional corn cob so they don't destroy anymore of my feeders. Also have a few Squirrels proof suet feeders for the woodpeckers. I stopped chasing squirrels a few years ago, its a waste of time. I also throw bloodmeal,& coffee grounds in my veggie garden to keep mammals out. Wish you luck with your chipmunk issue. And everyone with their critter problems.
My Hosta List

Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

Not a fan of Strychnine. I'd rather give them lead poisoning. It travels fast and they never feel any pain.
Can't do it in my new neighborhood though. In the old "hood" when anyone heard gunshots people would just say, "Is it Friday already"? :eek: :wink:
John Polka
USDA Zone: 6

Post by John Polka »

It's humorous to me to see the diversity in each ones heart....may it be based on our geographical location or how we were raised.... I love animals and have a respect for nature... But at the same time I was raised in an "old yelller" or "where the red fern grows" life... We aren't dumb rednecks... But I was raised on a farm in Kentucky... I hunted my first squirrels and rabbits when I was big enough at 7 to hold my papaws old single shot 410... And put my first deer on the ground at age 12.. Witnessed my papaw shoot pets to their death because it didn't make sense to pay a 200 dollar vet bill for a free rabbit dog.. Been witness to many of groundhog invasions and have seen them destroy the ground under barns enough to tilt their foundations... I've seen cattle mauled to their death by coyotes and been part of coyote hunts to reduce the population...
So when I hear all this about saving these animals and being more humane to the wild it just seems as odd to me as our brutality does to you...
boops

Post by boops »

Def. true it depends on where you were raised and your upbringing or just your personal preference and the laws in place where you live. I have an older brother who is an avid hunter and a member of the NRA, and lives behind a preserve but other than hunting during hunting season, he doesn't shoot any animals. He has a terrible chipmunk problem, I don't know what he does about them, but it is illegal here to shoot off guns on your property if you live in a residential area. If you see rabid racoons, here you have to call animal control for them to take care of it. I am not a fan of Hawks as they come and attack the birds in my yard once in a while, and even if I see where their nest is, it is illegal to destroy their nests. Even if you have dogs here in the county where I live, if they bark for a period of more than 15 minutes straight, someone could call the town and the person will be visited by code enforcement agents. A bit further east from me is the Hamptons, its kind of a high end beach, big houses etc. neighborhood. The town has roped off sections of the beach where you are not allowed to walk thru because it is a Piping Plover breeding ground. I guess the laws in certain states are more lenient than others. Lets hope next year we have normal winter weather which in my opinion takes care of the overabundance of wildlife and bugs.
My Hosta List

rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

My family hunts and fishes for food. My kids were taught to be responsible outdoors men and to always make sure they only take shots that will take the animal in a swift manner. I am not an anti-hunting person. We hunt ethically and responsibly.
At the same time, my kids were taught to respect nature and it's creatures. They have hunted squirrels on numerous occasions, but when they found an orphaned red squirrel in our yard a few days ago, they decided to take care of it.
Many of you would probably have finished it off, but I am proud that my kids can be hunters, and still be kind to an animals.
boops

Post by boops »

That is very responsible of your kids! Good job. Hunting and Fishing for food is a different story!
My Hosta List

Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Phil »

I knew there would be deer and chipmunks, but I never anticipated that my biggest nemesis would be my own chickens. :evil:
boops

Post by boops »

Now there something I never have to worry about. What do they do to your gardens?
My Hosta List

morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Well we were gone on overnite camping and came home to something killed two chickens in the chicken house. One is gone and the other in pieces. I hope the mink didnt get the chickens. The last time this happened we had a hoard of huge rats move in from down the creek. Will have to set a rat trap tonight and hope I dont lose any more chickens. :evil:
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Phil

Post by Phil »

boops wrote:Now there something I never have to worry about. What do they do to your gardens?
The damage is incidental. They scratch in the mulch looking for bugs and shred and bury the small hostas as they go. Not to mention the mulch is all over the lawn.
boops

Post by boops »

Oh-I always thought chickens were kept in a coop? I'm not up on raising chickens, sorry.
My Hosta List

Phil

Post by Phil »

Some are kept in a coop, mine range free.
jonbry123

Post by jonbry123 »

I've certainly had my share of problems with critters this year as well but can up everyone as I now have a bear that keeps coming into the yard to get at the trash cans. The yard is surrounded in back and on one side with an electric fence and also helps keep the deer out and so the dogs don't go off as I live in the country and they do run off if they escape. The bear doesn't eat the hostas but he walks through the beds looking for food and at around 400 pounds I estimate easily tramples any plant it walks on. This morning I was outside having a cup of coffee and who comes into the yard about 25 feet away from me-the bear. I yelled at it and it just every so casually turned around and walked away. A bit scary as I've learned that black bear attacks on humans is rare but when they do happen are often quite vicious and deadly. This one stands around 4ft tall and about 5ft long so though not full grown still a large and dangerous animal. I also have zillions of chipmunks but so far the worst they have done is dig holes around the plants. The largest problem I'm having this year is with slugs aside from the bear. I've never seen so many. I use an organic based slug killer that seems to work but there are so many and in the lawn as well. Many of the hostas have been badly eaten so I also go out at night with a flashlight and scissors.
Jon
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

ShortShadows wrote:This means WAR! I came home one day last week to find my Honeybells missing, yes MISSING. There were 3 leaves left from the thriving plant laying in the soil. Two days later .....Black Hills....GONE! roots, leaves...gone!
This is the work of a pocket gopher. Earlier this month my pom pom pine tree up and died, all the roots GONE!
Off to the store to find a solution to this problem. I bought some strychnine laced grain that will hopefully do the trick. If it does not work I am in for a LONG summer.
Short Shadows

Please don't use poison, because if a creature eats the gopher, it will aslo die a slow painful death!

morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Well 2 more dead chickens this morning. Looking for a home for the rest. I am not happy. Most of my chickens are about 4 months and small enough its dragging them off. I'd rather they find a safe home .
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
isadora
USDA Zone: 6B-7

Post by isadora »

I see this morning that something has been rooting and digging in the soft compost I put in some of the beds, and uprooting small plants in the process. I suspect we may have an armadillo doing the damage. I notice whatever it is, it hasn't dug in any of the beds where I've used woodchips as a mulch--just in the soft leaf and compost mulch. Guess it's off to the city wood chip pile tomorrow to top off the beds.

Gonna get a critter cam today and see if I can identify it once and for all. Lost some leaves from Great Expectations the other night again, in spite of wire cages that I'm using until (if ever) the plants get big enough. Also going for some more repellent, one that is supposed to be effective against armadillos as well as everything else.

Sandy
New Topic Post Reply