Local score

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Local score

Post by Phil »

I answered a newspaper ad yesterday, I'm glad I did! Mature clomps for $10-20! Got a partial clump of Francis Williams for $2!

Here's Blue Umbrellas, Angel Wings, and Krossa Regal:

Big Daddy and Francis Williams:
John Polka
USDA Zone: 6

Re: Local score

Post by John Polka »

here in kentucky I could do that with daylillies...heck I've got a truckload(seriously) to give away now... but never hosta... I'm insanely jealous of people who live in hosta country
John
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by jerryshenk »

Wow, that's great. My wife would be puttin' me to work!!
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Seems a very good bargain. Looking at the last picture I would not be certain that is a F williams but it may be the lighting effect, looks to have too green a margin and looks to be on the verge of shiny leaf.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I'm a little confused by F. Williams myself. I thought I had some but it doesn't look like that. The photo does accurately show the colors.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

At a very quick guess (and I mean very quick) Wide brim??
Phil

Post by Phil »

The seller had a Wide Brim, it didn't really look like the one I got. Also the leaves aren't really as glossy as the picture suggests.

I'm now also doubting Angel Wings, it doesn't look like the images on google. It's quite tall with leaves like Blue Angel but narrower and more towards green.

The seller admitted he had some NOIDS and had been trying to use the internet to figure them out.
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I'm thinking the Frances Williams could possibly be an Alex Summers.
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

Then again, maybe too much corrugation on that leaf. :hmm:
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

I wouldn't worry too much it's just a name.....as long as you enjoy them. Lets face it we have all been called something other than our actual names in the past :lol:
Phil

Post by Phil »

Mark Raw wrote:Lets face it we have all been called something other than our actual names in the past :lol:
That's true, but I wouldn't want to put it on a metal tag and wear it around my neck, lol.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Phil, they all look nice!

Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks, and I got them planted!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Great score! I don't think you have to worry too much about whether that is Frances Williams. I see the typical
spring dessication burn on it. The edge color is highly variable, in my experience, depending on lighting conditions.
We had many discussions at the midwest hosta convention about how different plants look in different conditions.
If you go to the hosta library and look at the Frances Williams pictures posted there, you'll see a lot of range in the
colors of the edges. Part of my plant gets some direct sun, part of it is always in shade, and there is a difference
in how the leaves look. Heat can make a difference too. We are in a period of extreme heat here, like nothing
I've experienced in my years of hosta growing, and there are plants in my garden that I have a hard time recognizing
without my map.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Phil

Post by Phil »

A map, huh. You're my hero. :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I use the term 'map' loosely, Phil. Each year I make a list in a composition book of what's in each bed. I always start at the same point and work around in the same direction. If I make changes in the bed the following year I circle the plant I'm moving out, and make a note of where I moved it, then add it on in the new location. I also make a separate list of which plants I moved, and new plants added and their location. I do not have tags on most of my hostas,and it gets harder every year to remember them all. Overe the winter of 2010/2011, all of my books for all of the years I've been keeping them disappeared. Terrible tragedy! I was able to reconstruct the 'maps', by going through the garden with the plant list printed out from my computer, and only had one newer Hosta that I was not able to identify.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply