Hosta Xanadu Paisley

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jonbry123
USDA Zone: 6b

Hosta Xanadu Paisley

Post by jonbry123 »

I was wondering if anyone has Xanadu Paisley and their impressions of it. I'm interested in purchasing one but the price is quite high. I understand the coloring can be variable from year to year but never reverts to a solid color. I do have Gunther's Prize and it seems the color and pattern are similar and don't want to spend nearly $100.00 for a plant that looks very similar to one I already have. I'm always looking for unique hostas and would appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks.
Jon
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Hosta Xanadu Paisley

Post by Mark Raw »

Looking at the pictures on the Library I would not give it a second look. To me looks like its well virused
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Hosta Xanadu Paisley Print

Post by Tigger »

Really, Mark? Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but this one doesn't look sick at all compared to some other hostas on the market (which also may be someone's cup of tea).

I don't really think of this as a "streaker" like Gunther's Prize. Overall it presents as a light-centered hosta. I haven't heard anything about instability of the variegation.
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I would avoid it. I checked the Hostapedia and there have been several that have tested positive for HVX . There is still a bit controversy to that, but the knowledge that several have tested positive would make me cross it off my list. Especially at the $100 price.
Mark Raw

Post by Mark Raw »

To me I would look at that and immediatly think virused, mind I dont like streaked or speckled hostas anyway. could just be me.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Personally I would also pass on it. Yes, there has been a lot of controversy about it, and out of respect for Brian I won't mention any of it here, just will say I don't recommend it.
jonbry123
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by jonbry123 »

Actually Mark Zillis in the Hostapedia says it has been checked on a number of occasions for HVX and found not infected. However I appreciate everyone's comments and will take your advice and pass on it. Brian Skaggs and Virginia created some incredible plants such as Empress Wu but most are not available as I had emailed her last year through FOOSF. Thanks again.
Jon
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I would not have commented further, but I do apologize, as I did not read that accurately in the Hostapedia.
However, Zilis is simply reporting what he was told. I'll leave it at that as well...
New Topic Post Reply