Saturday, August 4th, Hallson Gardens Summer Get Together

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Saturday, August 4th, Hallson Gardens Summer Get Together

Post by Chris_W »

Are you getting excited for another fun summer get together? Saturday, August 4th is this year's date, as many people couldn't make it for July. Here is the itinerary, much like last year's:

10am: Join us at your leisure in the morning, get a name badge and meet other forum members and other garden friends. This is the meet and greet time, and it is often like a big, friendly family reunion. Take a stroll through the gardens, do some shopping if you want, and make yourself at home.

Noon: Lunch will be served around noon, we will have our traditional baked spaghetti and side dishes, bring a dish or dessert to share, if you want.

About 1:00 to 1:30: Raffle tickets will be passed out for the hosta swap. Bring a hosta to share (up to 3 plants maximum per person) that you would like to swap with others. Try to make it something you wouldn't mind getting yourself, or you can even buy something here to share if you want. We will draw tickets to see who gets to pick first until all of them are gone and if you are the at the end, the last two ticket holders will get a free Hosta 'Whee!'

About 2:30: We will have our annual hosta auction where we will auction off some rare or limited release plants. This is a fundraiser that helps fund the annual event, plus is a great way to pick up some unusual hostas that you might not see very often. If you have something rare you would like to donate feel free to bring it along. This year's items will include a streaked eye of Spartan Glory and a nice streaked hosta called Powder Keg, and who knows what other surprises there will be.

After the auction we will take a short break and then we'll have our annual craft project from about 4pm to 6pm. This year we will be making your own fairy gourd house, or if you want you can paint a hosta leaf like we've done for the past several years. We will provide all of materials you might need (the gourds, moss, bark, twigs, shells, stones, etc.), but if you want to bring some of your own things to build your house you can bring them too such as feathers, acorns, nuts, twigs, moss, etc. you are welcome, though this isn't necessary as we have a huge assortment or you can scour the woods here for your own items (just stay out of the poison ivy).

In the evening there will still be plenty of people around, and really the best part of the day is to get to meet so many forum friends and other gardeners. We always have plenty of leftovers for dinner, so you certainly won't go home hungry!

If you are planning to attend, please RSVP on this thread so we can get an approximate head count.

See you at the end of next week!

Chris
HostaDesigner

Re: Saturday, August 4th, Hallson Gardens Summer Get Togethe

Post by HostaDesigner »

I plan on making it this year. I have a couple seedlings I can bring for the swap and auction. Hope to pick up a couple from your nursery as well. :beer:
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

That's great to hear that you can make it again Mike! You took some awesome pictures the last time you were here, and we really enjoyed seeing them :D
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

Me, me, me! Well, just the one of me. I can bring a vegetarian side and maybe dessert.
~Shawna
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

We will be there! Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Lynn
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Eleven wrote:Me, me, me! Well, just the one of me. I can bring a vegetarian side and maybe dessert.
A vegetarian side sounds great. What were you, you, you thinking about? ;)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I will be there, with my side kick Patruskha! Oh wow, a fairy house.....awwww.....can I do both? :lol: ......Not sure what I am bringing, but it will be gluten free! :wink: ....I told Jay, this year I am going to be like the Canadians, Art & Lynn.....no plants..... :lol: :lol: ........ :beer:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I read the newsletter in my email and joined and commented on facebook but didn't check the forum today. I'm confirming what my partner in crime, LucyGoose, said. I'll be there with her. I love the new Fairy Gourd House craft option. :cool: I can't wait to see old friends and I'm looking forward to meeting new ones. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Lessadragon

Post by Lessadragon »

Goosey, I will believe it when I see it!! :lol:

Lynn
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I wish I was coming! I think it's time you opened a branch of your nursery somewhere in Illinois or Iowa. :wink:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, get ready Lynn!! It's true!! 8-)
barbstrayer
USDA Zone: 5

Post by barbstrayer »

Chris and Brian,

Wayne will be there, but I won't be able to attend because of my recent spinal fusion surgery. He will have to pick out hostas without me :D Hope to see the two of you later in the fall.

Barb
elzdoyle

Post by elzdoyle »

I'm a newbe and am truly looking forward to this event. As the resident hostaholic here, I may attend alone or maybe I'll use a coupon to get my DH to join me. :D
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Lynn, You know her so well! :lol:

Barb, Sorry you won't be able to attend. Wishing you a speedy recovery. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

elzdoyle wrote:I'm a newbe and am truly looking forward to this event. As the resident hostaholic here, I may attend alone or maybe I'll use a coupon to get my DH to join me. :D
That sounds great, and there are plenty of husbands that tag along too so he won't be alone :D
LivinintheShade
USDA Zone: 5

Post by LivinintheShade »

I will be attending. I can't wait.
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I'll be there! Can't wait to see everyone!
Bonnie
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I am making a fruit salad.....how easy is THAT? :lol: ...I could make a broccoli/cauliflower salad too, but you know how that picky "BRIAN" is!! :lol:
nmb

Post by nmb »

I'm thinking of bringing a pasta salad if that's OK

mary
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Sounds great Mary :) And Lucygoose, we are making a fruit salad too with pineapple, strawberries, mandarin oranges, grapes, and blueberries, so if you want to make something different from that it would be fine :)

We are getting ready and looking forward to seeing everyone again!
New Topic Post Reply