Alex Summers

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

Alex Summers

Post by rufie98 »

Was out in my garden today and took this picture. Have to say I am just loving Alex Summers. It actually looks even better in real life! I purchased it this spring and have kept it in a pot. Can't wait to see it next year. I noticed there isn't a thread on this one. Anyone want to post a photo or add their opinion?

Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=154
MyHostas - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Alex+Summers
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/alex.html

Last edited by rufie98 on Sep 27, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gesila9
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Alex Summers

Post by gesila9 »

I got mine as a bonus hosta from Chris in the fall of 2010. Except for a little nibble from the rabbit, this one is almost perfect despite being in full sun and an area that was infested by slugs this summer. One of my favorites:

Gesila
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Lovely! That was a great "bonus" plant you got. Mine only receives a couple hours of afternoon sun. It is holding up very well for this time of the year. I was also impressed with the second flush of growth it had this season. Also one leaf had broken off during our backyard reno. I think it would have been in the 6 o'clock position.
Last edited by rufie98 on Sep 27, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

Alex Summers has become my favorite. I can't say enough about it. Beautiful, showy hosta with slug resistance and sun tolerance. It even appeared drought tolerant this year. Love this one!
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Great pictures rockNhostas. Thanks for showing us the flower too.

It was just by chance that I happen to pick this hosta out at a very large hosta sale. I think I got lucky and picked a winner.
rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

Yes, you got lucky. I honestly was not overly impressed with it when it was younger, but that sure changed! You will be so happy with it when it matures.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Great looking hosta.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

Here's a pic of the replacement Alex Summers that I added this spring. My other suffered a near death experience :(

~Shawna
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

Here is Alex Summers blooming this July 2014. It's doing well enough, even though planted between a burning bush, dogwood, and some large rhododendrons.

ImageHosta Alex Summers 2014-0707 by Elevenish11, on Flickr
~Shawna
Moccasin
USDA Zone: 9a

Post by Moccasin »

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is a great looking Alex Summers, Moccasin. I don't think I've seen very many that are that completely consistent. Usually there is a leaf or two showing some reversions back to Gold Regal mixed in there. The other hostas look really nice too :)
New Topic Post Reply