Ut Oh

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Ut Oh

Post by boops »

Blizzard warnings for us for tomorrow with strong winds and high tides. YIKES. Man are we getting slammed this season with some wicked storms. :eek:
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Ut Oh

Post by Chris_W »

Amazing crazy weather - sorry you are getting hit again!
boops

Post by boops »

I should never have wished for more moisture for the winter, I didn't mean a blizzard LOL. Will deal with it as usual.
My Hosta List

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Coming our way tomorrow too. Weatherman on radio just said "the snow is starting at 11:08 pm". LOL Will have up to 20 cm of snow.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
boops

Post by boops »

they are predicting 6-12 inches (15-30 cm) here. Got the snowblower and salt ready to go. Crossing fingers as my son in law is supposed to catch a plan on Fri afternoon. :eek:
My Hosta List

JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Good luck, Boops, and everyone out east!
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks Josh-I think we really need it again. Can't wait till spring.
My Hosta List

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Stay safe and enjoy a indoor weekend :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
boops

Post by boops »

Man this one is a humdinger-zero visbility early morning rain frozen under the snow. took me almost an hour to get home, usually takes 10 minutes. 15 mph the max. They are saying 18-20 inches now. Hunkering down, glad we still have power. :eek:
My Hosta List

Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

Yes, I hope everyone stays safe. Last night's news sounded really bad and like everyone was suppose to stay off the roads. Boops, hope you continue to have power.
boops

Post by boops »

Thanks Carol-problem here with the roads is, some are plowed by the State, some by the County and others by the Town. By the time the plow reaches the end of a road it has a ton more snow. Haven't seen a snow storm like this since Feb of 2006. ABC news is showing Port Jefferson Station-which is 8 minutes away from me. I only hope the people that live near the water are okay since many suffered from Hurricane Sandy damage. This is hitting during high tide again. The Governor declared a state of emergency. OMG its now Thundering too.
My Hosta List

boops

Post by boops »

Storm only half over-13" and still coming.

My Hosta List

redcrx

Post by redcrx »

We were on the rainy side of the storm and only got about 2 inches of snow from the backside of the storm. That will be gone when the sun comes up.

I had planned to be shoveling snow all day but got lucky.

Hope you are OK.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
thy

Post by thy »

Power is allways your problem with the hanging lines. Please how are condos in the big cities heated ?
Asking bc in my capital we do have a few areas with old building heated with electricity. One thing is to lack light and what ever going on by electricity inside the house, but if people specially eldery and sick people lose heat too it can be critical for them.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
boops

Post by boops »

OMG-30 inches and more-drifting up to 36" all major roads are closed-even state plows are stuck in it. 600,000 without power. We are snowbound-thank god we did not lose power. trees bent in half. They actually named this storm-Nemo.

My Hosta List

Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Phil »

Well, it's over, power still on, it could have been worse! I hope everyone made out OK. :)
boops

Post by boops »

Hey Phil-you guys got it as bad as us I think. How deep is it by you?
My Hosta List

Phil
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Phil »

I didn't measure, probably about 18".
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I guess how badly if affects one depends entirely on how much the region is used to. I grew up in the Rochester, NY area and we could generally expect at least one 18" or so dump of snow each year. But it would melt in between. Moved to Quebec City when I got married and the amount of snow was unbelievable, but they were very used to it and extremely organized when clearing it; so it never bothered anyone much. Ottawa rarely gets more than 20 cm (8") at a time and it's a big storm when we do, but even here they know how to deal with it. But if we get closer to 30 cm, it will slow us down for a day. But there are, of course, always a few idiots who think they should travel the crosstown expressway above speed limit in the worst of conditions. :eek:
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
boops

Post by boops »

Where I live, they act as tho it has never snowed before-so far my street has still not been plowed-cars getting stuck all over the place. The major roads are just getting cleaned up today with payloaders as the regular plows were getting stuck. The neighborhood streets, are the last to be cleaned. We cleaned off our driveway and walks yesterday, but when the plows come, i'm sure we'll be trapped again by the driveway. It is above freezing today and are expected to get steady rain tomorrow which will melt alot of it, but with the rain and melting snow they are expecting flooding conditions. Also supposed to be in the 40's all week. I have about a dozen trees that I think will have to be cut in half as they are bent over. We'll see what happens after the melt.

My Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply