Name for 'Cadillac' & 'Fan Dance' reversions?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Kas

Name for 'Cadillac' & 'Fan Dance' reversions?

Post by Kas »

Hi, All!

I have both a 'Cadillac' and a 'Fan Dance' that are reverting or sporting solid green eyes. What would these be called? I'm going to seperate them, but I want to know a name to put on the tags. I know I am weird and keep the boring chunks. :lol:

Thanks!

Kathy
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Name for 'Cadillac' & 'Fan Dance' reversions?

Post by redcrx »

You mean besides Green Cadillac and Green Fan Dance.

Emerald Cadillac, Irish Cadillac, Cadillac Envy (as in Green with Envy), ...

Dance 'til Your Green (no idea where that came from), Green Blades, ...

I have an all green sport of Striptease called "No Strings Attached" so I know what you mean about keeping the "boring" green ones. It grows great - just like a weed.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Hmmm. Not that enthused by any of those. Guess I'll just go with the fact of the situation and call them 'Cadillac Reversion' and blah, blah, blah.

Thanks!

Kathy
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Kathy,

You can't call them "reversions" when the original plant was a variegated seedling, as is (I believe) the case for both of these. You just have all-green sports.

Confusing, I know, but you have to know where the original hostas came from. The registration page or the database at the Hosta Library can usually help.

David
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Here is Guacamole sporting a big dark green hunk off the left side. It's probably similar to Fried Green Tomatoes.
Guacamole - June 5, 2013
Guacamole - June 5, 2013
It should be easy to take off.
Guacamole - June 5, 2013
Guacamole - June 5, 2013
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply