Gold Standard unusual shape to leaves

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Gold Standard unusual shape to leaves

Post by Carol O »

Have any of you seen this shape leaf on a Gold Standard? It's long and wavy, especially where the leaves join at the petiole.
The photos look like it may be virused (HXV) but I don't think it is. It is growing in full sun and bleaches. The damsel fly joined in when I took the picture.
Gold Standard.jpg
Gold Standard_0001.jpg
Gold Standard_0002.jpg
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: Gold Standard unusual shape to leaves

Post by Tigger »

Is it one division (or two together) out of the whole clump with this appearance? Could be an interesting form sport.

David
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

It may be just fine, but if you are having ANY doubts about a textural change in the hosta, I would advise doing a test on it. I just tested a leaf of my 'Ani Machi' (see HVX forum) just because it didn't look quite right. There was nothing concrete that I could identify as a clear-cut HVX symptom. In fact, the leaf sat in my kitchen for a couple of days while I made up my mind and I was quite surprised when it tested POSITIVE. I'm betting it had been in my garden and sick and not showing it for years - maybe since I got it in 2006. And who knows what else I may have infected even though I'm generally so careful that my husband laughs at me.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

It looks like an eye that had trouble unfurling. When the eye gets caught up on a leaf or just gets stuck and doesn't open up like normal then that's what it will look like. I don't think it is an issue and it probably won't do it again either.
Carol O

Post by Carol O »

I'll keep my eye on it. I don't know if it's coming from one division or not. Haven't really looked carefully. It would be a neat sport if that is what it is.
Mark Raw
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Mark Raw »

Is this set of leaves a second flush of leaves? I have had some do this during that stage. Especially August Moon, sometimes that produces almost banana shaped leaves during it's second set of leaves.
Carol O

Post by Carol O »

Mark, that is an interesting thought as each one of the elongated leaves is coming out of a different division. They could be a second flush as I didn't notice them at first.
New Topic Post Reply