Differences between LS Black Satin vs Ventricosa

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Differences between LS Black Satin vs Ventricosa

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Are there any differences? I have both and can't tell which one is which. And of course tags have been moved before being mapped. I even tried seeing a difference in their flowers today.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Differences between LS Black Satin vs Ventricosa

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Linda,

I know they are nearly identical, which is why I never grew Lakeside Black Satin. Can you post pictures of both here for us to see? If one looks more like Ventricosa I might be able to tell you that much.
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

there will be a lot of pics. I have about 6 or so Ventricosa and LSBS got mixed up in the bunch somehow in the move. They must be really really look alike because I just picked one and took it to a leaf show and it got a ribbon as LSBS. But it looks just like the others so I really don't know. Will go take a few pics now and try to get back on here. On our way out to our grandsons baseball game. Was just told about it 5 minutes ago. :(
Linda

My Hosta List
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

ok I took pics of 4 of them. The other 2 are in the sun right now and I cant get a pic of them. Also the hosta in the first pic is a lot smaller than the others. Not sure if it is still growing due to a move.
IMG_2421 (320x240).jpg
IMG_2421 (320x240).jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
IMG_2422 (320x240).jpg
IMG_2422 (320x240).jpg (96.07 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
IMG_2423 (320x240).jpg
IMG_2423 (320x240).jpg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
IMG_2424 (320x240).jpg
IMG_2424 (320x240).jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
Linda

My Hosta List
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

H. ventricosa is a larger plant than 'LS Black Satin' and has purple flowers. The flowers in your photos are too light unless they (the photos) are overexposed.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
jgh

Post by jgh »

That's an interesting ID note, Viktoria... the registration for LBS does indicate a white-striped bell flower. I know the species ventricosas have those very dark purple buds... can't remember what they look like open, though.

LBS didn't grow well for me... maybe I just got poor tissue culture... but Lakeside Coal Miner has grown well for me... and it is another one I really can't see much difference. Mary described these and similar plants as hybrids of ventricosa... but if hey are ventricosa x ventricosa crosses, I've always thought these named cultivars are really pretty much "selections" from the ventricosa strains.

And, of course, the traditional explanation for her very dark plants has been soil with lots of magnesium in it.
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by jerryshenk »

My first thought when I saw that picture was that it looks exactly like what I've been calling a Royal Standard...actually, I have no clue...in fact, I'm probably wrong. We moved here 3 years ago and they came with the place. Royal Standard is also an old hosta....seems to fit with the maturity of the plants and the lack of upgrades for many years. But, LSBS and Ventricosa were both from 1993 - that's 20 years...old enough. Do you think this might in fact be the same as yours? Other interesting characteristics are that this one is the first one out of the ground in the spring and it's also the first one to bloom.

DSC_20130713_151314_Hosta_RoyalStandard by jerryshenk, on Flickr

DSC_20130713_151450_Hosta_RoyalStandard by jerryshenk, on Flickr
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

The flowers on mine are the bell with stripes. Altho I do have one plant that the flower is huge compared to the other plants. I was really surprised at the difference. I haven't got out to take more pictures. We have been gone and just got back home. Will try to get better pics tomorrow and even try to get one comparing the two different sizes of flowers. It was very bright out when I took the pics the other day.
Linda

My Hosta List
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Jerryshenk, I think yours is more like undulata Erromena as you noted it's early emergence and flowering time. Royal Standard flowers in August and the flowers are white and fragrant.

LBS and ventricosa look very much the same. I have mine planted on opposite sides of our property and in different exposures. LBS is much larger than ventricosa(battling roots), but otherwise, they look the same. Viktoria is right though, they do have purple flowers.

Lynn
digs57

Post by digs57 »

My LBS is much smaller than ventricosa and the leaf is wider, more heart shaped. Both are nice and dark, with a satiny sheen - LBS seems darker, but this may be due to location differences. As with many smaller hostas with smaller root systems, LBS seems more finicky than the species: one of mine disappeared last year.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I cant get a good pic of the hosta. I never seem to get out there with the camera when the light is right. lol but I did bring in a couple flowers from them. I have one plant that the flowers seem to be on steroids. I am not good at taking pictures so please bare with me.
Attachments
IMG_2427 (320x240).jpg
IMG_2427 (320x240).jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Linda

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply