New Registration: H. 'Sheesh!'

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

New Registration: H. 'Sheesh!'

Post by jgh »

My gardening has been somewhat curtailed by a nasty little case of pneumonia. So...
Announcing my newest registration... H. 'Sheesh'... registering it this summer.

Sport of Little Treasure... which is a sport of Little Jay... which is stabilization of of Beauty Little Blue streaked... which is a seedling from Blue Cadet x clausa normalis.

Notable characteristics: nice blue/gray (until wax melts off), attractive narrow leaves set off by white edge, very vigorous growth, very floriferous (mid-season)

and about the name... my better three-quarters is Sheila... her dad called her Sheesh... and I received letters, one each day of my entire freshman year of college off in Boston, signed "Your Sheesh!"

Of course, a sappy story like this is apt to make people say "Sheesh!" with rolled eyes. My only hope is they'll see our little sport and say it with admiration.

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: New Registration: H. 'Sheesh!'

Post by Tigger »

Very cute. Does it meet the all-important AHS qualifications for being a true "mini" hosta? (length x width [in inches, rounded to 0.1 or 1/4 inch, which ever you prefer] of full-grown leaf <6) ;)

Little Treasure is one of our best-growing minis.

I'll have to plant 'Sheesh!' next to 'Wheee!'.
jgh

Post by jgh »

The leaves definitely meet the mini criteria now. I want to lock in the registration... I suspect others will experience similar sports... but it might take another year or two to be sure the leaves will remain lance-shaped rather than spreading out to a spade-shape. I'm guessing that since Little Treasure is listed with leaves 5"x2" - small - that this will actually be in the small category.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

Congrats jgh and Sheila, nice looking sport!
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

:D
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

It is a nice looking plant in flower like that and I'm certain will be in the small category. Little Treasure gets bigger than expected itself. I've never let any of these solid sports grow up myself and have probably thrown out several of them by now. Perhaps I should keep them from now on and label them Sheesh ;)
jgh

Post by jgh »

Chris - don't miss the exclamation mark! Sheesh!

I toss a lot of them, but this one was stuck in a row to use for pots or whatever - and it grew faster than anything I've ever grown... faster replication than Golden Tiara! Frankly, I assumed other folks would be pulling off solid sports... so that's why I posted now. If it is going to get a name - I figured it might as well be mine!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Considering the current craze for trough and fairy gardening, any small hosta that looks that good and grows well should be a winner. I've not had a chance to toss any blue sports of Little Treasure, because the teeny tiny thread-like piece I got from a friend did not survive. I got another this year, so I'll watch to see if 'Sheesh!' appears on it.
Sorry to hear that you were visited by the nasty pneumonia bug, but glad you defeated it.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Really Jim? You included the exclamation point? Sheesh!
jgh

Post by jgh »

yup - !

First reason - the word when used in conversation is usually done so with an exclamation point... as in "Sheesh! Who woulda thunk it?!"

Second reason - it is growing near my starter plant of Wheeee! - I detest the 4 es in that name, but it seems to really catch attention...

Third - and ultimate - reason... anybody who knows my spouse knows she comes with an exclamation point!
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

3 E's in Wheee! Do you hate it half as much now?

Other exclaiming hostas:
How About That!
Oh! Them Golden Slippers
Yes, Sir! (two punctuation marks)
Yikes! More Stripes
and the Ohh! series from Ed Schulz (currently 7 registered).
All registered except for Wheee!

I'm sure Sheila deserves her exclamation point.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Thanks, Tigger! I have been giving it 4 Es... I guess my eyes stuttered...

I still don't like it... but that's just my curmudgeon showing through... it seems to grow fast and has its cuteness, and people seem to like the name as well... I see Walters didn't register it, but did apply for a patent...

ok... it's cute... but their description... I feel my testosterone being sucked away...

"Imagine a little girl with long, curly locks twirling around on a merry go round, her hair waving in the wind. That’s the visual I get when I think of the delightfully ruffled leaves of this fun new Hosta"
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

A nice fast growing mini....
:hmm: Even I need one.... do not sound like it is easy to kill :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply