Annual Get Together - this Saturday, August 3rd

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Annual Get Together - this Saturday, August 3rd

Post by Chris_W »

We are getting ready for the annual get together this Saturday. I'm sorry to have been so absent, but it has been a really busy year and I haven't had a chance to promote the get together that much. But we have about 20 to 25 people that have confirmed they are attending, so looks to be a really nice sized group :) Here is the schedule for the day:

9 to 11ish: Arrive Saturday morning for the meet and greet, browse the nursery and walk through the growing areas. If you want to shop, the morning is sometimes easiest to get things together if you want as the afternoon gets busy.

Noon: Lunch will be served. Bring a dish to pass, could be a side dish or desert, just post what you are bringing so people get ideas of what might be needed. We will provide the main course - LASAGNA!

After Lunch (start around 1/1:30): The hosta swap (an annual request by forum members). Bring one or two hostas to swap with each other. For each hosta you bring you will get a raffle ticket and by random drawing each person will get to pick a hosta from everything that is brought, until nothing is left. Please limit it to two hostas (three is okay if they are newer and more unique) but please do not bring common things. Sorry, most people don't want to get a Golden Tiara or other very common plants in the swap. If you don't have something to trade you could buy something ahead to enter it, but entry is completely voluntary.

Start around 2:30/3:00: The hosta (etc) auction. We will auction off new or rare plants, some from here and participants can also bring donations for the auction and proceeds go to Hallson Gardens for hosting the event and for the forum. This again is completely voluntary, no need to bring anything, but we hope everyone will have fun participating :)

After the auction: The garden raffle. Bring some garden trinkets (if you want) to enter into the garden raffle. Could be garden art, gloves, used gardening books, or just about anything, and then we will sell raffle tickets and raffle off the items one at a time. The more you bring to share the more fun this will be :)

4:00/4:30 to ?: Craft time! Last year only a few people were able to participate making the gourd fairy houses, but they all had a great time doing them. We will have the birdhouse gourds and many supplies, but you can also bring your own items to decorate them, such as feathers, acorns, leaves, sticks, or other items that might make decorations on your fairy house. Brian will help with this while I can help with people out in the gardens and nursery at this time.

Feel free to stay late and we often have enough food left for dinner too and we'll hang out all night and relax on the porch. For those staying in the area, many will stop back and shop on Sunday morning before heading home.

We are really looking forward to hosting this again, the 12th annual Hallson Gardens get together! See you soon :)
LucyGoose

Re: Annual Get Together - this Saturday, August 3rd

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer: :beer: Rock On!! :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see everyone!! Pat and I are coming together!! :wink:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Sounds great! :cool:
I'm anxious for the weekend to begin. :D
I'm bringing Heath Bar Chocolate Trifle.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Wish I could make it, but I just have too many things going on this weekend. Enjoy everyone, and hopefully next year. :beer:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Sounds like a great time, as usual. Wish I could be there!
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

I hope should arrive between 9 an 10. Excited to be attending again. Hope to make more hosta friends!

Shawna
~Shawna
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I hope everyone has a wonderful time.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hope you all had a great time... Any pics ?
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Eleven

Trying out the new image upload option

Post by Eleven »

Here's a pic of 'Maui Citrus' that I won from the annual get-together auction:

~Shawna
Eleven

Re: Trying out the new image upload option

Post by Eleven »

I also won Powder Keg:

~Shawna
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I only have a couple pictures that I took, but I know others had cameras out too so hopefully they will share them too. I'll get mine off the camera soon :)
Chris_W
Administrator

Re: Trying out the new image upload option

Post by Chris_W »

Eleven wrote:Here's a pic of 'Maui Citrus' that I won from the annual get-together auction:
Thanks for sharing a picture of it! This was the first time I've divided a piece off this one. It is a light green centered sport of Maui Buttercups, and the color does show better as the plant gets older and would likely show even more if planted in some morning sun or bright light. We haven't registered it yet, but I will do it this year. :) Keep me posted how it does for you :)
Maui Citrus
Maui Citrus
Eleven

Post by Eleven »

Haha, I was so confused trying to figure out where my pics went. I didn't actually take any while at the gathering; these are both from when I got home (those are my weeds). And I planted Maui Citrus at the edge of a bed that gets partial sun, in a spot where Fire Island used to crisp. I think it pretty much straddles the shade line, so we'll see how it looks in a few weeks.
~Shawna
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Oh I am so bummed! I got a new car last year that would make the drive & I planned to come this year & just spaced out finding out about it. I'll have to check in earlier next year! I need to start checking in every day like I used to. I don't know what's wrong with me!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

It s around the first of August - give or take, so keep your eyes open in July next year and you will find the exact date :-)

Wish I could just drive ... :???:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply