Cut Leaf Hosta Seedling

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
NancyL

Cut Leaf Hosta Seedling

Post by NancyL »

I have grown out a lot of seedlings in spare places in our wooded garden because I have found they look like nothing as babies but seem to change at year 2. This is a Komodo seedling that developed cut leaves that didn't show last year. I also have a small glossy green spear shaped leafed cut leaf but the slugs tore it up upon transplant so I will have to wait until next year for a photo of that one. Is this a common form?
cut leaf hosta close up '13.jpg
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Cut Leaf Hosta Seedling

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

This isn't likely to be a trait that keeps going from year to year, but I've seen some plants reproduce it more often than others. I'm not sure how or why they do this, but it seems that as the leaves emerge and develop, some of the leaves overlap so that the edges are kind of stuck together, then as the leaves grow out they grow around the edges of the adjacent leaves. Eventually they unfurl and you are left with this strange cut leaf look.

Unfortunately I don't think this is genetic, just an oddity of the way they grew.

Keep an eye on it, though. I've never taken pictures of it myself so thanks for sharing.
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

Thanks Chris! I moved these to Michigan with all my other seedlings that I liked + a Liberty and 2 other giant greens that have names that I no longer know. We are probably leaving MD for FL so my MI hostas will be my only ones. :( It will be nice to follow these two and see what they do.
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I have a seedling that has some of these leaves most years, but not always. It's interesting to see and speculate about. I had some good pics of it, but lost them in a computer crash last year. :evil:
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I have a 'Blueberry Waffles' that did it this year; it would be very surprising to see it repeated.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
New Topic Post Reply