Hosta ID

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Hosta ID

Post by sweetee »

I was given this hosta when someone got a new house and this was in the yard. No ID. Any guesses? I haven't seen the blooms to know what they look like. Thanks in advance. :D

Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Re: Hosta ID

Post by Carol O »

It could be Gold Standard or Orange Marmalade.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'm not really sure. Colours can vary so much with different light conditions. I do want to point out what might be foliar nematode damage along the petiole of the leaf at the left. What do others think?
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

I was thinking the same on the ID.
Nematodes; I take those pretty seriously. I went out and searched the plant and can't find that marking. I had just repotted it. I am posting the picture from 5 minutes before I carried it out of my slug area.
I did put the hosta in quarantine to watch it. Thanks Ann.

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

In this later pic, it looks like a young Gold Standard (grown in shade).
sweetee

Post by sweetee »

Could be. Some leaves are solid gold. When he gave it to me, it was in a 3 gallon container, solid roots from his garden, in "dirt/mud". I transplanted it immediately. He said the new house had this in most of the flower beds. I know he dug up a full plant, didn't divide it. If I put it next to my gold standard, I'm thrown because mine doesn't have any solid gold leaves. Who knows. I'll lean towards gold standard until it does something different. Thanks. :D
New Topic Post Reply