Blue Cadet Seedlings

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
NancyL

Blue Cadet Seedlings

Post by NancyL »

I bought several what I thought were Baby Buntings about 10 years ago and when I finally was informed by someone who had the real Baby Bunting that they were too big to be BB I deduced they fit the mold of Blue Cadet. Many years ago I collected the open pollinated seeds and a large number of the seedlings that grew were chartreuse so I grew them out. Here they are lining my walk this AM. I have one plant where my husband buries a hose connection each year and when the parent is broken up the small pieces are chartreuse until they get bigger. Anyone else had this one throwing a lot of yellow seedlings?
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Blue Cadet Seedlings

Post by ViolaAnn »

How interesting to have so many yellow seedlings from a solid blue plant. I regularly get yellow seedlings from 'Touch of Class', but it's got the yellow in its heritage. Must be some back in the heritage of 'Blue Cadet' as well.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

Nice plants, nice path, nice photo. I think I have one yellow seedling from some Blue Cadet seeds I grew several years ago.
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

Here is one of the Blue Cadet that gets chopped up every spring by my husband and is hose installation. Image
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
sweetee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by sweetee »

NICE! I have a blue hosta which I planted a couple of seed from. I only planted about 5. One was blue, one didn't sprout, and the other three were gold. I kept wondering how that happened, but looking at your photo can see it does. Thanks for sharing. :)
New Topic Post Reply