Come On, Babies! They're Coming!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

Come On, Babies! They're Coming!

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

I have some almost leafing out. Even in other years with unseasonable warm days, I've never seen hostas coming up in March here before. But, they are now. Can't stop the hostas!

Here are pics from last year because I'm having withdrawals... :beer:

Don B.
Attachments
St Paul with Fair Maiden
St Paul with Fair Maiden
Satisfaction in May 2014
Satisfaction in May 2014
South side of my property
South side of my property
Probably Elegans, leaf close up in May
Probably Elegans, leaf close up in May
Unforgettable
Unforgettable
santamiller
USDA Zone: 8b

Re: Come On, Babies! They're Coming!

Post by santamiller »

One thing for sure, once they get started it doesn't take long! Do you have a picture of Satisfaction later on in the year? I'd like to see how the color compares to mine in the Southern heat.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, those sure are far along. I had someone in Colorado place an order a few days ago and said ship immediately as it is already hot in CO. We still have ice about 4" below the soil in most places...

Hopefully you don't get too cold this month, but it is great to see them :)
santamiller
USDA Zone: 8b

Post by santamiller »

Chris.....when do you anticipate being able to ship?
newhostalady
USDA Zone: 6

Post by newhostalady »

Nice to see your hostas Don!

I know what you mean about withdrawal! I haven't found any life in mine so far.
Mountainy Man
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Mountainy Man »

Glad to hear that they are on their way Don, we are all longing for green leaves.
I just checked my photos taken 4-4-14 and mine are about a week behind where they were, some are at about an inch and a half up. We are having a warm spell, was 12.5 C today, and this will push them up fast now.
Looking forward to a bit of this.....
Great Expectations.JPG
Denis
almosthooked
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by almosthooked »

I'm thinking the pictures Don has posted are from 2014 but maybe I am wrong. Most of mine are up and showing out of the ground and the ones I purchased are so tempting to plant now but woke this morning to snow half way down the mountain so maybe safer on my deck in the pots they were purchased in this year. I have been covering with a blanket for the last few nights but by next weekend we are to get the 20*C or 68 F for our US friends . Spring clean up is pretty much completed except for the slug control and the fertilizer I will apply this season to give them a treat.
Attachments
hosta  update 2015 from Greenery 028.JPG
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

Hey, Almosthooked- Are you going to hang all those hostas? Where?

-Diana (Babka)
Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

Santamiller, I'm sorry but for some reason, I don't have a late-season pic of my Satisfaction. Thought I did. I will say it's sited in a good amount of afternoon sun, and I was impressed that its colors looked very nice all season. It has also gone from 1 or 2 eyes last year to 8 eyes poking up out of the soil at the present time.

Thanks Chris, but those are pics from 2014. I have a lot of pips pokin' up, but only a few leaves unfurling yet. I'll have more new pics soon, though! :D

Don B.
almosthooked
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by almosthooked »

Bakka( Diane) No I am not hanging any,I bought these this season for $10 each and am now waiting for the last of our spring night frosts. I made a couple new spots last fall and are in need of plants to fill in the empty area. They were all plants they had from previous seasons and all oversized ones . Lucky enough all but 4 of these I never had and the 4 were ones I do have but way larger in size. I will have a new area that will look like it is years older. The Fantasy Island has 91 shoots and Miss Linda Smith( one I did already have ) has 41 Wheaton Blue( already had too) has 35 shoots at last count . Lucked out in my find and don't dare go back or I may be tempted to get more
New Topic Post Reply