Happy Spring everyone

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

boops
USDA Zone: 6b

Happy Spring everyone

Post by boops »

Happy Spring to all-it finally got out of the 40's during the day here. Just finished raking out all my gardens before the pips start appearing. 75 construction bags of leaves and assorted garden debris. Was a bad winter here this time. The wind took down 3 of my trees-now a shade garden is in full sun and I may have to move a few of my Hosta and some perennials. Lots of freeze damage to evergreen perennials, it is a real mess. But my day lilies are all coming in nicely. No pics to post yet, still looks like a tag graveyard on my property. Many tags also disappeared, so here I go again :eek:
Here's to a good summer for all of us :beer:
My Hosta List

Do one thing everyday that makes you happy
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Re: Happy Spring everyone

Post by Carol O »

Thanks, boops. We had a warmer, dry winter and now cold wind and rain. But as my friend reminded me, 'April showers, bring May flowers!' So bring it on. You, too, Happy Spring.
boops

Post by boops »

lets hope we don't see anymore :frosty:
My Hosta List

Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

Out here in California, we would LOVE to have some April showers. I might have to quit taking showers in order to water my pots of hostas.

-Diana (Mrs. Stinky) ;-)
boops

Post by boops »

I hear you are having a drought again. I will do a rain dance for you guys. :wink:
My Hosta List

Zkathy
USDA Zone: 7a

Post by Zkathy »

image.jpg
Spring is riotous here in North Carolina. The late snows delayed everything so it's all happening at once.
Kathy
If you want to understand an entitlement mentality get a cat.
boops

Post by boops »

beautiful-my gardens don't look that good even in the summer!
My Hosta List

Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

Same to you! Hostas poppin' everywhere here in Colorado.

Don B.
boops

Post by boops »

Are they in the ground or potted??
My Hosta List

bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by bkay2000 »

Happy Spring to you, too. It's beautiful here in Dallas, too. We've had a huge amount of rain, which we really needed. They think we may be out of the drought with this wet spring.

My potted hosta (the only kind I have) are mostly all the way up. The fortunei group is really lagging this year and are not up yet.

Around the neighborhood, Irises are in full bloom. The roses are budding. The trees still have that apple green color and the bugs are pretty much still asleep. Both of my neighbors and I have pecan trees and they are putting out their pollen (we call them beards) which makes a mess everywhere. However they provide shade for my hosta.

Spring brings renewal.

bk
boops

Post by boops »

its so nice to hear everyone's plants are up and blooming.I guess we here in NY took a beating because there are no pips showing yet. Will check again at the end of the week.
My Hosta List

rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Oregon going full bore! Hostas coming up like crazy!We have been having rain off and on, just right for the shade garden and wonder of wonders snow in our mountains which we needed badly. We had an almost snowless winter. Go figure! Snow in the mountains in April?? It is all so pretty, I love this time of year. How is it goingin Washington, Gals?
Lovin' the great northwest!
Ludi
USDA Zone: 7a

Post by Ludi »

We are LIVE here in Philadelphia. :D Just tipped 100+ of my potted hostas off their sides last Monday. Pips were already starting to come up sideways.

Aristocrat, Percy, and Rainbow's End are in the ground but about an inch up out of the soil. Hellebore are in full bloom as well as daffodils. Crocus and Snowdrops are basically done, and I see little green buds on my Korean Lilac 'Bloomerang'.

Spring has sprung, indeed !!! :D

Best Wishes to Everyone this coming year,
Ludi
The only thing two Gardeners will ever agree on is what the other is doing wrong.

You won't know how to grow a plant successfully until you've killed it a few times.
boops

Post by boops »

Thats great! My Bloomerang also has buds and my Hellebores and anenomes are also flowering. Just my pokey hosta are taking their time-they are all in the ground.
My Hosta List

Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hostas are just breaking the ground here in NW Illinois, at least the ones that aren't in deep shade. I haven't been able to get all of the beds raked yet, so some may have a little extra leaf mulch this year. Daffodils are in bloom now, and today the weather guessers are speculating that it may be cold enough for a spring snow next week.
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
boops

Post by boops »

SNOW??? :eek: Oh No-I hope not.
Its raining here today, so I am expecting to see some pips by Friday. :lol:
My Hosta List

Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

All mine are in the ground, Boops. Looks like some snow on the way... :(

Don B.
boops

Post by boops »

Oh NO not you guys too! Please don't send it our way. Hope you don't get any bad damage.
My Hosta List

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

So sorry Don!! We had a wild ride yesterday but spring warmer weather hit today and we are getting a lot down today.
Happy Spring, we should see our first be seeing our first bearded iris bloom shortly. Starting to see some color on the
tops!
Attachments
Dogwoods in bloom!
Dogwoods in bloom!
DSC05783.JPG (11.25 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
almosthooked
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by almosthooked »

Spring in BC has been trying to arrive for more then a month but yesterday we finally noticed a real sudden change . Grass needed cutting, all the hosta in my garden are up but maybe 10 but this year will not worry like the years before when I was sure they were dead but just were late risers . I guess if they die , they die. We actually spent outside afternoon sipping on a cool drink out on the lawn swing watching the lake and wondering why we never spent more time in the yard when we were younger... Oh yah, we had to work and raise kids!
I am anxious to get all my new purchases in the ground but still getting cool nights that could possibly freeze the huge leaves that have grown. At least I can cover a big table full then blankets all over the yard. My $10 plants had to be moved to a second table as they have filled out so much. Now I wonder whether I have enough empty space to not have them crowded the first year. Some bulbs are popped but the tulips are just formed the heads so far. I never got any vole damage so the cats and wiener dogs are doing their job and keeping them at bay. More then Myrle can say this year as she has lost bunches but that is her story to tell HAPPY SPRING
New Topic Post Reply