Rain does a Hosta good

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Rain does a Hosta good

Post by ogrefcf »

It's been raining here the past week and a half and the plants have been loving it.

Owen
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Rain does a Hosta good

Post by kHT »

Owen, I can remember when you were planning this out. Really filling in good and you did a nice job!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Yeah filled in well. Some are doing much better than others. Paradime has gone crazy. Now just need to get the slugs under control.
Owen
bkay2000
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by bkay2000 »

I do like the structures you've built. It's a beautiful area. What are the vines?

Yes, I agree, rain does a hosta good, but here is such a thing as too much of a good thing. We're drowning here in Texas. We've been in various stages of drought for a few years now. It started raining this spring and it hasn't stopped. There's flooding in lots of places.

I'm beginning to worry about rot in my hosta. It rains almost every day. It like what I think living in Seattle would be like. I was so worried about getting my shade cloth put up, but we've stayed cloudy. That's good, as it's so muddy, you can't do anything. Usually, I have to have everything pretty shaded by June 1, but the weatherman says more rain to come.

I think I would have used more bark mulch in my potting mix had I known this was coming.

I just want my plants to dry out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine.

bk
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

bk2000, LOL Seattle and the PNW has joined CA in the drought. We here in the Portland area are almost 3 inches behind in rain. Send it back please.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
bkay2000

Post by bkay2000 »

It's raining again now.

bk
Don_in_Colorado
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Don_in_Colorado »

Beautiful yard! We're having the fourth-rainiest May on record in Colorado, and the hostas are loving it. When it gets warmer, I think they'll EXPLODE :D

Don B.
ogrefcf

Post by ogrefcf »

Thanks everyone. bkay, the vines are Sweet Autumn Clematis. I know some people don't like them because they can be invasive, but I have had no problems with them in four years. Just cut them down and they regrow and fill in about everything. Works out well as they fill in when the summer heat arrives and it shades my plants. We too have been having a lot of rain. I try not to complain, but it's been slowing my gardening down. We are also in a drought here in Utah, so I really can't complain at all.
Owen
bkay2000

Post by bkay2000 »

Oh, yeah. I took down three of those when we built our workshop last summer. The bed where one used to be now houses my garden shed. A sprout of it came back up, so I just gave it something to grow on. I haven't come up with a good landscape plan since we built the shop last summer, so I'm just stumbling along trying to figure out what will work with my combination of sun and shade.

I got the frame up for the shade cloth, though. It will protect my hosta from the late afternoon sun from the west. Squash Casserole is the only hosta I've seen that will hold up to that sun here.

Kht, I'd like to send some of it back. It hasn't rained yet today. It's supposed to storm again tonight, though. We've had over 5" of rain this month (generically speaking of Dallas), but some areas are in the 20" category. I think I'm in that group. Where we are, we're in no danger of flooding, but the soil is totally saturated; "gooshy" even.

Great plan there on your hosta shade, Owen.

bk
New Topic Post Reply