Is there a Hanky Panky sport where the edge doesn't change?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Is there a Hanky Panky sport where the edge doesn't change?

Post by Chris_W »

I'm wondering, is there a Hanky Panky sport out there where the edge stays a creamy white all summer? The center on mine is starting to get lighter now, like normal, but the edge never turned green, not even a little.

Do you have one like that yet Ed? You seem to have about every Striptease sport imaginable, and probably a few more of your own by now :D
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Is there a Hanky Panky sport where the edge doesn't chan

Post by redcrx »

I have not seen one. One that came to mind out of Striptease called Juha but that's too variable. Do you have leaf details?

There is one from Van Wade called Jelloway (not for sale) but I have never seen it - just a photo in the Library. It's out of Striptease and may just be another Hanky Panky.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I'll get a picture of it Ed, thanks for writing :) I saw it last year but didn't isolate it at the time. This year it was back so I separated it and it hasn't grown much, so probably a weaker grower since the edge doesn't green up.

We also have a Risky Business sport that looks like White Christmas - pure white with a couple random white speckles and a thin green edge. I separated that one out this summer so I'll get a picture of that one for you too.

Not sure we will ever introduce them (I swore the hosta world didn't need any more Striptease sports a LONG time ago!) but who knows :roll:
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I will always buy them.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

So I took a quick look at the myhostas.be sport listing for Hanky Panky and found Cabaret which is very similar to the sport I found here. I knew somebody must have had it already! :)
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Duh! I have shown a lot of Cabaret photos but always forget it's out of Hanky Panky.

Does your edge start yellow and go white?
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Hi Chris - did anything happen with this?

I was in the archives looking for a topic about sports and ran into this - not what I was looking for. I think it was a "general" topic about sports similar to the topic "Are you keeping weedlings" - I thought I blundered across it recently and it was posted in 2015.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I still have this plant, but in all these years I don't think it has become any larger. But then again I didn't really try. I bet if I put it into a pot and started growing some roots on it then it would grow. The area it is planted has been largely dug and sold so there are only some scattered things there. It is slated to be completely reworked and replanted this month.
New Topic Post Reply