Don't forget - the open house/get together is August 1st!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Don't forget - the open house/get together is August 1st!

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to remind everyone that the summer Hallson Gardens open house is just 9 days away on August 1st! We will have our annual pot luck and I'll be making my baked spaghetti this year, "Eleven" is planning to bring bread sticks to go with it, and Brian has been going through his recipe books to try and find a cool new dessert to make :) For those of you who can bring something let us know here so there aren't too many of the same items ;)

This year will be much like in the past - arrive at your leisure in the morning, grab a drink and mingle while you check out the nursery and the growing areas. For those of you who wish to trade hostas in the hosta swap we will set up on the porch for you, but this isn't a requirement. For each hosta you bring for the swap you will get a raffle ticket and then as each ticket is drawn that will decide the order in which you get to pick. The swap can be done after lunch, which will be served around noon, while I get ready for the auction.

Lunch and the swap will be followed by our little hosta auction where we will offer up a few one-of-a-kind hostas and maybe even a division of a couple of our upcoming intros. If you have something rare you would like to donate you are welcome, just please make sure it is a healthy plant that you are sharing. The auction is a fun way to get some unique plants and helps to pay for the day's event.

After the auction (or before, depending on how the time is working out) we will hold the white elephant raffle. It is your option, if you would like you can donate gardening items (garden decor, tools, books, or other items) and we will sell raffle tickets, then as tickets are drawn you can choose from the items donated. We've had some really nice things donated in the past and have several items that were already dropped off or sent (thank you Pia from Denmark!) for this year too.

In the work room we will also have a craft event set up for you to paint either bottle gourds or a hosta leaf for you to keep as a souvenir of your visit. Brian will help you get creative, and if I have time I'll try to join in too :)

Please reply to this thread if you know you are coming (or possibly coming) so we have an idea how many tables to set up and how many craft supplies we need.

Looking forward to seeing you on August 1st :D

Chris
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Don't forget - the open house/get together is August 1st

Post by Chris_W »

We are busy cleaning and setting up the Hallson Cafe, plus setting up for the guests who will be staying overnight with us. We are only 3 days away :beer:

We have about 15 people confirmed so far, so we have plenty of room for any last minute attendees. :D We are looking forward to a fun Saturday, and the weather is looking good for it too.

See you soon!

Chris
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I WILL BE THERE !
Bonnie
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Today's the big day @ Hallson's Gardens!! Hope someone remembers this year to take photos to
share with us that can't attend, please!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Carol O
USDA Zone: 4

Post by Carol O »

How was the open house/get together? I'm with kHT, I hope pictures were taken and they will be posted, for us who couldn't make it.
Eleven
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by Eleven »

It was a weird gathering, only 8 of us (plus Chris, Brian, and Kristin) and very few customers shopping throughout the day. So we had an intimate gathering this year! I forgot to get out my camera AGAIN, but Art took a few pics of us. I only took a few of hostas. Oops.

Next year will be the 15th annual Friends of Hallson Gathering, so we need to plan big!!
~Shawna
New Topic Post Reply