NOID: Any thoughts as to what this might be?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
rufie98
USDA Zone: 6

NOID: Any thoughts as to what this might be?

Post by rufie98 »

This my third year with this NOID. I have two of them. They are still small in size, blue with a white border. Here it is to the right of my Marilyn Monroe. I have also taken a photo of two of the most mature leaves. Any thoughts as to what this might be? I haven't a clue.
IMG_6178(#3).jpg
IMG_6173(#3).jpg
IMG_6172(#3).jpg
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: NOID: Any thoughts as to what this might be?

Post by ViolaAnn »

Is the border on that blue one white all year? If it emerges yellow and then turns creamy white, it could be either El Nino or First Frost.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

How did you get it? The color pattern looks a little like Aristocrat but the wave in the leaf reminds me a bit of Crusader. But I'm not sure on either of those...
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

This could depend a lot on what it looks like in the spring. If it gets bigger, and comes up with yellow-cream margins that turn whiter, could it be Earth Angel?
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

I am not really sure about the margin in the spring, but I don't think it is yellow, ViolaAnn.
Tigger, I have three Earth Angels, but this one does not really resemble it. Thanks for taking a stab at it, ViolaAnn and Tigger.

I got these from Costco bare root in 2012. I don't find the bare root hosta there that rewarding; they can be quite small; and take a long time to grow. And can be virused! So now I try to muster all my strength to not buy!

I would love for these two hosta to be Aristocrat, Chris. But now that you mention the resemblance to Crusader, perhaps that is what it is. I gave away my Crusader last year. It would have been great to have been able to put them side by side to compare. I guess I didn't think it was Crusader because I found them to be quite blue for a longer period of time than I remembered Crusader to be. But I can see why you think that it might be a possibility.

I look pictures today and the hostas are green now rather than blue. The hosta leaves beside the NOID are of First Frost.
Attachments
IMG_0318(#2).jpg
IMG_0320(#2).jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Most of the plants I saw like this that were sold at Costco were Pizzazz. That was actually one of the plants I was considering but the original picture seemed small. With the other pictures I think that could be it.
rufie98

Post by rufie98 »

Sounds like Pizzazz is a real possibility. I'll label it "Pizzazz maybe" and we'll see in another year or two or three! It's been a slow grower for me. Thanks Chris!
New Topic Post Reply