Newbee in Texas - needs advice

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Sumsun
USDA Zone: 8b

Newbee in Texas - needs advice

Post by Sumsun »

Hi I'm new to the forum and New to Hostas. I live in Central Texas. I love the many varieties and the appearance of Hostas and would like to try my hand at it. I have an area (12x12) on the NE/E side of my house that gets shaded by the house as the day progresses. I've planted three Endless Summer Hydrangeas as a back drop (one in the corner and one on each side of it and am hoping to gain some advice on which Hostas to plant around them. The Hydrangeas should get to 4 ft high. I wanted to plant a chartreuse colored Hosta (that will get to about 18 in tall at maturity) in front of the center Hydrangea with two shorter hostas to each side of it(14in?) . I would like to then plant a few (12in height) in front of those. I also have a couple areas of mostly sun as a part of this bed (to the outside of the Hydrangeas) and I'd like to plant something that can tolerate our Texas heat. I would really like the Hostas colors/varieties to complement each other. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've also heard that I cant go by the measurements of the hostas as shown on the websites for Texas as they typically will not grow quite that large - reduced by up to 4 in in height (maybe the heat stunts them? ) Anyone with knowledge about that?

Thanks.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Newbee in Texas - needs advice

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums, and I am so sorry I didn't notice your post sooner. Spring has been incredibly busy for us and the forum got away from me :blush:

Hopefully some people will be able to help you out if you haven't found the information you need elsewhere. Since you called me today I think you probably already have been getting some advice out there, so that's good :D
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Hello, Texas.

Here's a must-read listicle by Tony Avent on hostas for hot climates: https://www.plantdelights.com/blogs/art ... m-climates. It's a bit old, but you can extend it with any of the newer fragrant cultivars (mostly coming out of the Fragrant Bouquet/Guacamole line). Sadly, most of those are about the same size when mature, which doesn't help with your landscaping desires. Bob Solberg is breeding hostas that perform well in North Carolina (zone 7b or 8a?), so you can look for his hostas (either sold by him or by others).

Your main concern will be getting constant water to these. One Texas hot week without water can do them in.

David
planta
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by planta »

I live in Amarillo, Texas. To keep hostas alive, I built two shade construction, holding now well over 300 cultivars, about 50 of them streaked. I would gladly welcome you in my garden and show plants, and share some of them. I discovered that some streakers do really well here, like from one Potomac Splashed I got about dozen that need to be divided.
I have plenty of White Feathers, started to treat them like weeds. Winter Snow, Sum and Substance, Millenium, Dancing Queen, Touch of Class, Karin, Dream Weaver and many others I have too many.
You are welcome to visit any time!
planta
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by planta »

My hosta plants, about 300 of them, are on automatic drip irrigation system. I live in Amarillo, TX.
Out of chartreuse cultivars, well performing here are ; Dancing Queen, American Icon (color now), Prairie Moon, Miss Susie etc.
You are welcome to visit my garden any time!
New Topic Post Reply