Best way to post hostas for identification?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ademink

Best way to post hostas for identification?

Post by ademink »

I have quite a few hosta that I need IDs for. I have tried to solve as many as I can on some Facebook forums and Gardenweb but I seem to be stumped/stumping on several.

Is it best to do a separate post for each hosta I need an ID for?
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Pieter

Re: Best way to post hostas for identification?

Post by Pieter »

Andrea,IMHO it's best to do them as individual posts, that way there's less room for confusion.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
ademink

Post by ademink »

Thanks, Chris! Strap in....incoming! LOL I will put some of my difficult ones on here (a lot of "greens") in the next few days. :) Hope you're having a great spring!

My Hosta List
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

These days I'm not here as often as I am at FB, where there are lots more eyeballs in general. I'm not a member of the Hosta ID group; not to put too fine a point on it but I see a lot of uniformed guessing when I look there. (But if I joined I fear it would become a time suck.) One-at-a-time posts, either here or at the AHS Facebook group page, are always best.
ademink

Post by ademink »

Yes...I'm not having great luck on the Hosta ID page and people fatigue quickly there. Many of my plants are selections from 10-12 years ago and many are uncommon varieties in the trade. Not "rare" but just not what people would normally choose (oh hey! another long leaved, arched green hosta! lol) Hoping that the seasoned and expert eyes on this forum can spot the subtleties and help me narrow down what is what. ;)

My Hosta List
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Tigger wrote:These days I'm not here as often as I am at FB, where there are lots more eyeballs in general. I'm not a member of the Hosta ID group; not to put too fine a point on it but I see a lot of uniformed guessing when I look there. (But if I joined I fear it would become a time suck.) One-at-a-time posts, either here or at the AHS Facebook group page, are always best.
It can indeed be a time suck and you are right that there are quite a few uneducated guesses. But like you I'm there more than here and I AM a member of the Hosta ID group.

I agree that it's easiest if it's one plant per thread unless they are very clearly identified in the pictures - big numbers or something like that.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply