The "problem" with troughs

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

The "problem" with troughs

Post by redcrx »

Back around 2011 a couple of my gardens got destroyed by aggressive tree roots so I started using troughs. I collected the fragments still alive and in one trough had a large group of tiny pieces - Paul's Glory, Princess of Karafuto, gracillima, a fern, minor Korean, Striptease, Empress Wu. Over the years many were removed for size - PG, the fern and Empress Wu. I went out looking for minor Korean the other day and found this.
T6 0603190708.jpg
Striptease had exploded. I had to dig in to find the minor Korean. The gracillima was still there but buried in the foliage. I decided to remove the Striptease to its own trough and spread-out the remaining ones. I hope the minor Korean and gracillima don't get shocked to see the light of day.

In taking the trough apart I found that minor Korean had wandered over past the Striptease.
T6 0603190708a-1.jpg
Here is minor Korean on the other side of Striptease.
T6 0603190708b-1.jpg
Here is gracillima with Princess of Karafuto on the right.
T6 0603190709-1.jpg
Here is the "new" trough with minor Korean on the left, gracillima in the center and Princess of Karafuto on the right except now in the lower center there is a tiny piece of Little White Lines that came from another trough that I had a "problem" with but that's another story that will be up next.
T6 0603190921a~2-2-1.jpg
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Re: The "problem" with troughs

Post by redcrx »

The second trough with a "problem" has a large sport coming off Soldier Boy (might be stabilizing).
That's Ogon Tsushima on the right end and Celtic Uplands in the middle.
Soldier Boy, Celtic Uplands, Ogon Tsushima - June 3, 2019
While taking the trough apart I found a tiny piece of Little White Lines that I moved into the trough mentioned on the previous page.
Little White Lines - June 3, 2019
Little White Lines - June 3, 2019
I thought there was only one all green piece but it turns out there were two other small all green that I potted and named Tactical Gear. I also cut the Ogon Tsushima in half. Here is the result.
In taking the green hunks off Soldier Boy, I ended up with an "extra" piece of Soldier Boy. I put it into a new trough with the other half of Ogon Tsushima.
Soldier Boy, Ogon Tsushima - June 3, 2019
Soldier Boy, Ogon Tsushima - June 3, 2019
The big green hunk went into a new trough with the big Striptease I removed from the trough mentioned on the previous page.
green Soldier Boy (Tactical Gear) and Striptease - June 3, 2019
green Soldier Boy (Tactical Gear) and Striptease - June 3, 2019
I need to redo another trough with an overgrown Kiwi Full Monty. This is convenient because I have a spot in the garden where I removed a KFM last season to take off a sport and haven't replaced it yet - those pieces are all too small yet. That's a job for later in the month.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks Ed for the information. We are starting to deal with roots here also and it's so hard to
keep stuff in the ground when you deal with neighboring tree roots. We are shocked that one
here in this state can be sued if you disturb your neighbor's tree roots especially if they put them
on the property line so they have the use of more of their yards.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

They come in handy when you need to protect something - seedling, nub of something. I needed to work on an orchid trough that goes into my garage for the winter. I thought it was all yellow but turns out there was a bunch of purple with yellow centers. I moved the yellows to its own trough.
0605191046~2.jpg
0605191020f.jpg
0605191019d_HDR.jpg
A better photo from a different pot.
0605191006.jpg
New Topic Post Reply