We're not far off now...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Pieter

We're not far off now...

Post by Pieter »

...until we see them all unfurled and in their full glory..
Resize of P9730756.JPG
Above is clausa var. normalis and below is 'Chinese Sunrise'. Every year it's a race to see which one shows first with clausa usually being ever so slightly earlier. When I sent these to my sister-in-law she said "Yum-yum, looks like a nice side dish...". Had to tell her those would be a tad on the small side, have to wait for something a bit larger before I take some shoots for cooking...
Resize of P9730823.JPG
Last edited by Pieter on Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: We're not far off now...

Post by Chris_W »

We aren’t too far off on a couple here either. Lederhosen is actually the first one looking like it will unfurl. I’ll have to get some pictures of the progress. Lots of eyes showing.
HopeItGrows
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by HopeItGrows »

I'm afraid here in Zone 4b Wisconsin, things are not nearly as advanced. The crocus are still blooming in my yard, Hellebores are just starting for me, Tulips are just starting to unfurl, and the rest...well...still sleeping. Not a peep from a pip!

I'm happy that the temps are keeping the hostas in a dormant state, though. Last year we had a warm spring and then freezing winter temperatures returned after the snow had melted. Those that I did not cover ended up looking unsightly for a good share of the year.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

:lol: The little things that excite is about spring. We have one that has surprised us mid
March! It's in a protective area and by the front door, totally unfurled already!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Peter!!

Looking good!!
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I'm glad to see there are still some regulars around here, but it's quiet, too quiet. Everyone on Facebook these days? :eek:
No longer far off, Lucy, smack dab in the middle of it now. Matter of fact I noticed the development of the first scapes a few days ago.
P9740409-albopicta.JPG
This is my 'Albopicta' showing it's stuff...with a small 'Whirlwind' peeking through in the top left corner....
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Pieter,

Yes, Facebook killed off the independent forums. And it is a nightmare trying to truly share good information there.

Our hostas had trouble this spring as they started to poke out during a warm spell in late March and then were faced with frost multiple times into May each time the leaves started to form. Our neighbours told us that this wasn't normal to have frost in April and May. Some of the plants are beautiful now but others really struggled to send out new leaves. I think we are going to try more in pots now so they might stay dormant longer in spring.

I'll try to post some pictures soon :)
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

I think we are going to try more in pots now so they might stay dormant longer in spring.
Chris, I grow ALL my hostas in pots and they break earlier than ones planted in the ground. The main advantage you'd have is the ability to put the pots into a protected area when frost is in the forecast.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

That’s basically what I was thinking. I can shelter them in a cold area for the winter. I don’t have a shade garden yet and the sun woke them up too soon 😕
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I hate the Facebook format. It limits my storytelling.
I'm always referring back here to use the "index".
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
New Topic Post Reply