Maple Leaf "reversion"

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Shorttopp
USDA Zone: 5b

Maple Leaf "reversion"

Post by Shorttopp »

Hi,
My Maple Leaf(s) have all reverted to solid gold.
Maple leaf is a sport of Frances Williams so I'm not sure you can call these gold ones a reversion
Do you think I can label them as Golden Maple, which is a registered sport?
Thanks,
Kathy from Sylvania, OH
Pieter

Re: Maple Leaf "reversion"

Post by Pieter »

The all-gold out of 'Maple Leaf' is called 'Golden Maple' as you know. If it's close enough to what you see in the HL I'd have no hesitation to refer to it as 'Golden Maple'. I had an all-blue sport out of 'Touch of Class' -mine seems to have a penchant for throwing all-blue sports- and I refer to that one as 'Touch of Frost', it's kinda foolish to give it a different name just because it happened in my garden. Matter of fact if you go to the HL and look at all the pictures of 'Touch of Class' you'll see several examples of plants with more than one solid-coloured leaf which leads me to believe this sporting of ToC is quite common.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Maple Leaf "reversion"

Post by Chris_W »

I agree with Pieter. You could call it Golden Maple or even call it any other of the solid yellow sports from Frances Williams as they will often be nearly the same.
New Topic Post Reply