Welcome to the forums!

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

"it was apparently answered by the Hallson master himself!"

:lol: Love that line! Yep...that's Chris alright...the Hallson master. :wink:
Glad you found us. If you post your question about posting a pic in the Help forum, Chris will answer it as soon as he cans. I would offer to help, but I was hopeless figuring it for myself and someone had to finally help me. Plus..I'm using a Mac and sometimes my explanations don't jive with PC users. :roll: Another option for you would be to send a couple leaves to Chris and he'll look at them for you and give his opinion. There is a post dealing with that on the HVX forum.
Welcome to Hallson's! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

Thanks for the welcome! Nice forums here! :)
MrHeinz77

Hello from Iowa

Post by MrHeinz77 »

Hi, I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. I am Jim Heinz from Independence, IA. I am Josh Spece's brother-in-law. I teach high school science and milk cows. Besides this, I try and help Josh in the gardens. He has taught me quite a bit. I met a few of the Hosta folks at Jimmy Mac's place last Saturday. You are a great bunch.
Jim
newtohosta-no more

Hi Jim!
Good to have you join us! I wasn't at Jimmy Mac's, but I am planning on attending the Hallson get together at Hallson's in August. It's always fun to meet other hosta lovers. I'm going to start a separate welcome post for you so others might see it. :wink: :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Well Welcome

Post by oldcoot »

That Old COot named John is glad you are now with us. When you get time, if you already haven't, post us some pictures. We love ANY kind of pictures. Be sure to check out All the Groups...OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
GardenHo

Post by GardenHo »

Hi all...newbie here.

I'm a gardener in SW Minnesota, (the banana belt, LOL) zone 4B. I've been lurking here for a short time and enjoying all the beautiful pictures! I hope to share some photos of my own garden, too.
brianinNC

Post by brianinNC »

Hi everyone..... My name is Brian from Raeford, NC. I'm in the Army and i just moved into my new house at the end of May. Was just surfin the links and found this site. I'm new to this. I do have some pics of what i have done so far but i know i will have lots of questions to ask in the future. Hope to learn some new things to spice up the landscaping i'm doing.
newtohosta-no more

Hi Brian,
Glad you stumbled across Hallsons. :) There's just about everything here, but if you have any questions just ask and one of us will find an answer. :wink:
Welcome!
:D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Anette

Post by Anette »

Hello.
Great forum! I´m a middleaged girl in the middle of life with 3 kids and a big garden full of promises. Lots of space for hostas. The only sad thing is that the spanish snails come closer to our garden each year, they are a great threat to hostas.
newtohosta-no more

I'm sure you've discovered that there are many, many hosta lovers at this site. The hosta forum is probably the most active forum on here. We'd love to hear more about your garden and if you're able to post pics, those are welcome also. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Anette

Post by Anette »

If you like pictures there are some in my Swedish garden forum album. http://www.alltomtradgard.se/forum/user ... bumid=9139 This link takes you to my kitchengarden. There are more albums, all in Swedish though :???:
The garden is a total of 6300 sq m. We have a big cold greenhouse (80 sq m) and we´re building an insulated smaller one (30 sq m). The garden is full of evergreens, the previous owners fancy. I´m trying to plant more deciduous trees and perennial plants.
Enjoy.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Beautiful Garden

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D THANKS or posting pictures. Hallsonite ALL love pictures......OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
zackredsox

Post by zackredsox »

NICE FORUM!!!!!!!
sownsew

I am new here!

Post by sownsew »

I came to this site via the American Hosta Society site.
You all sound like a great bunch of people.
Was looking for more info and pix of the dreaded HVX.
And found it. Thanks.
I think that I am seeing it every where in my garden!!! yikes!!
I have been to several reputable nurseries in my area... they were of little help.
I am close to the Univ. of Minnesota, and have been to the extension service with my hostas...
They have encouraged me to have them tested to know for sure.
But at $25 per test (up to 2 1/2 times what I paid for one of them), I feel that that is prohibitive.
I could throw them out (into the trash/garbage) and buy new ones at less expense, tho I would rather buy DIFFERENT new ones!
I thought that I read somewhere on this site that Hallson could get testing done for free, is that still available...to me?
Will appreciate any help with this.
My heart is aching over this HVX.
I have a substantial collection.....indicative of Hosta OCD...
Will try to get a list together for you to see, and can get some pix of my sickies, I think you all will be as expert as any I've seen so far...
Thanks
newtohosta-no more

Welcome to Hallson's! I see from your hobbies listed in your profile that your username fits you perfectly. :wink: Very clever! :)
Anyway.......Chris Wilson (one of the owners of Hallson Gardens and this website) is considered our expert on HVX. I don't believe he actually tests the hostas himself, but in the past people have been able to send him a leaf/or leaves from a suspected hosta and he would tell them if he saw signs of infection. I think most would make a small contribution to the running of the forum. You can PM him with any questions. :D Many times he can tell just from a posted pic. I'm sorry you may have HVX in your garden. It's something we all dread and we're finding that even the more reputable nurseries are still selling obviously infected hostas to the public. Sad, but true.
I hope you will enjoy this site. Just shout out if you have any questions! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

trlhiker

Post by trlhiker »

Hi, new here. I have the green thumb in the family thanks to my mom. My wife can't seem to get anything to grow, so I do all garden work. :lol: Looks like a good forum for all of my garden questions. Already posted one in the woody plant section.
Last edited by trlhiker on Jul 29, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Welcome to our our newbies! How exciting to add to our growing family from around the world! Looking forward to sharing in your posts on the different forums here!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
tggfisk

New here, too!

Post by tggfisk »

Hi! I just signed up here, but recognize some folks from other sites. Nice to meet you all...Or y'all-legitimate contraction, right? :D
Bev
sharon

thanks for the welcome

Post by sharon »

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry I did'nt reply sooner, I don't have a computer, I use them at our local library maybe once a week. Oh well, it gets me out of the house and away from the hectic pace of life for an hour or so every week. I've been reading your posts for maybe 6 months now and thought it was time to join in. Lots of useful, common sense info you people give. Thanks again, time to prepare for the coming snowstorm.
Loganlilly1960

Post by Loganlilly1960 »

Hello my name is Susan Coffin and I heard about this group thru the amaturdaylilyhybridizers forum and thought it would be a nice place to meet new people.
I live in North Central Indiana (about 2 hours north of Indy)
and I have been gardening with daylilies since about 1999.
I have one large bed out back of the house and one small narrow one along side the east side of the house. Im currently trying to convince my husband that I need the rest of the ground on that same side of the house to put in the twenty or so new daylilies that I have comming this spring. I have been married for 24yrs and have 2 childern
a daughter 17 and a son 16.
I also enjoy making beaded jewlery.

Susan Coffin
New Topic Post Reply