Getting Gun Shy On Welcoming Folks

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Getting Gun Shy On Welcoming Folks

Post by kHT »

As you all know we are having spam problems here in the garden and some of us are getting a little gun shy on our welcomes after checking out what the newbie post in their profile. Hope folks understand if there is nothing posted in the profile, it's not that you aren't welcome to the garden, it's that we are taking a serious look before we welcome anyone due to problems in the past. So if you are new and we don't welcome you, please introduce yourself. Plus remember to put your birthday in the other post up above if you want to be added to the birthday list, please! :wink:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Nicely said , Karma. I know from experience that there have been some people join who have no interest whatsoever in gardening. Nor do they have any intention on joining in with any of the other forums offered here. They seem to have their own agendas that outright violate the forum guidelines. I have been hesitant to jump in quickly with my welcomes without first taking a look at what they have included in their profiles. Needless to say...I've gotten an eyeful at times!! :o That being said...I want others to know that you truly are welcome and if we miss posting a welcome for you, please do as Karma suggests and introduce yourselves. The more the merrier! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

It would be a lot easier if we could read Russian. :D :wink:
newtohosta-no more

In some cases you don't need to be able to read Russian. What's that saying? "A Picture is worth a thousand words" :wink: :lol:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Seems to be a lot of people that are taking advantage of Chris's hospitality and using his forum for advertising, etc. Hard to trust people that just put up a website and don't post. Do these idiots really think anyone here will patronize their BS? My apologies to the legitimate new posters. Your joining an awesome FAMILY at Hallson's.
kHT

Post by kHT »

The legitimate new posters ar welcome but those that only come here to sell or show us their bad taste in photo, well what can one say? :oops: No one should have to look at that stuff unless they go looking for it? :eek:
I'm to the point if they have a website and that is all that they post, no welcome until they post a couple of times. That way we see they are legit. and gives them time to look around. Wish there was a way to let them know when they sign up that they need to hit the welcome area first to intro themselves and sign in if they want us to celebrate their Birthdays?
newtohosta-no more

I wonder if there is something Chris can do to have that happen, Karma? It sure would make things easier. I hate not welcoming people, but half the time I don't ever think they come to the welcome section to see the post. :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Besides, who can read somthin with nuthin but vowels and periods anyways? I got enuf trouble with proper english. :roll: :wink:
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Thanks for the note Karma.

Normally I just weed those out when they come up. The "users" are entered here by a computer program simply to increase the number of links to their websites. they never post and are automatically banned from posting, but I have to manually delete the accounts.

You've seen more than usual lately because my computer was in the shop for 7 days so I hadn't been able to delete them. But there are no more than usual... :eek:

I only took the computer in because the CD/DVD drive quit working, it was supposed to be an easy part swap, but they had trouble getting the part. So it's back now, they'll call me when the part is in, and I'll keep up with the Russian spam again. :roll:

Thanks for watching things :)

Chris
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks Chris! Have been very busy here so I'm just finding this. Chris is it possible to ban Russian ISP numbers? :wink: Seriously here if a person doesn't post information in their profiles, I've stopped welcoming them. You also have to becareful when you check out some of those sites as it's not safe for some folks eyes! :wink: Ya never know whom is tracking ya.
New Topic Post Reply