This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Rebekah

Post by Rebekah »

Hi Everyone.

As you can see, I'm Rebekah. 8-)

I reside in New Zealand. I've notied that most of the places I've seen on here (with a quick look that I did have) most of you seem to be Americans?

We've got 48 acres here on which we farm dairy cattle (ayrshires). We milk our cows and all milk goes into feeding other animals.

We've also got a reasonably sized garden of which in last count there was 97 roses. Over half have been lost in all the weeds. (There just simply isn't enough hours in the day to run a farm and look after such a big garden).
I'm unsure if I'm allowed to do this, but here is a web link to pictures of the roses in my garden.
http://www.geocities.com/beka_biscuit/roses.html

I'm a proud and keen vegie gardner. Last winter I made a new vegie garden which I'm still in the process of correcting the soil acidity.
My garden is at the end of its summer producing now. Tomatoes have again had another poor season of producing (thats what, 2 years in a row now?). I feel a little better in knowing that it isn't just me who has had poor tomato production over these past couple of years. Although it does nothing for the ego to see poor vegies in the garden :(

I've recently found a new weakness in the garden - calla lillies. I just adore them. Such easy care and they are long keepers when cut. Such a shame they don't smell!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome to Hallson's!! Yes...most of us on the forum are Americans , but we love having members from other countries join us here. It's always interesting to learn about other parts of the world....places we may or may not ever get to visit....and the challenges and successes they have with gardening. We do have someone else here who has dairy cattle, so they can certainly relate to how busy your farm keeps you everyday! Glad you decided to join us and I hope you'll stick around and share your experiences with all of us. I've already checked out your veggie garden post, so I'll check out the others when I'm done posting this. :)
Again...welcome to Hallson's.....we're glad to have you with us. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Welcome to HG!
Rebekah

Post by Rebekah »

Thanks you for the welcomes :D
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

WE're not through yet.........

Post by oldcoot »

The Old Coot' as he is called in the forums, welcomes you to our Group to. You might also want to check out the Lily, Iris, and Digital Nature groups on Yahool, (since you are already there). There are a LOT of New Zelanders and Aussies on them. They ALWAYS show BEAUTIFUL flowers & Critters...........

We are so glad you joined our happy little family and we are CERTAINLY glad you post a link for us to to see your
beautiful Roses.

As an aside, when the Old Coot was a little boy somed 65 years ago (I'm 73 now), hisparents taught school and had to go to summer school every summer. They "farmed" him out to his Grandparents fron the time School was out in the Summer, until it started in the fall. It was my job to go down in the pasture in the afternoon and bring the cows back up for milking. I also learned what wonderful fertilizer cow mature was for growing flowers, as his mother would MAKE his daddy fill up a tub and bring it back home to put around her flowers. Said that ferns wouldn't grow without it...I settle for back cow myself. Oh, senior momentg there.we had Holsteins....

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot continuing his count down for SPRING,
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
Image to Hallson's!

I'm from Canada... *S*

Debbie :-)

New Topic Post Reply