Welcome to kitgary

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
newtohosta-no more

Welcome to kitgary

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome to Hallson's! We'd love to hear more about you and your garden.....and pics are always welcome! Especially during the long winter months. Anything to keep us occupied while we're waiting for Spring to arrive. :wink: :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Welcome: My guess is you drive a BMW. We love IA. We call it heaven. I look forward to reading and seeing your garden. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
s bike.jpg
s bike.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
kitgary
USDA Zone: 4b

A little about us

Post by kitgary »

Hi all.
My name is Gary and my wife is Kit. We are very new to the Hosta Sickness. We have had a few hostas for 5 or 10 years. They came up in the spring, grew all summer , and the deer ate them to the ground every fall.Then about four years ago we started to get a little interested in hostas and bought a few different named ones that we thought were nice looking. We had maybe 20 different named hostas. Almost three years ago we moved to the small town of Springville,Iowa ,Which is about when the trouble started. The previous owner had been an avid gardener and had tried growing about everything you can think of. He had also planted a few hostas. We had brought most of our named hostas with us so we went about finding some places to put them. We dug up the grass under two crab apple trees at the front of the house and made a nice little garden for them. Well once we got them all planted we still had some room left so we bought more hostas,then we dug more gardens, bought more hostas, dug more gardens,etc. Until we ran out of shade. This spring we decided we needed to build a shade structure if we wanted to continue growing hostas. We came up with a design for a pergola and contacted a handyman who agreed to build it for us. The pergola came out fantastic. Unfortunately the 600 square feet of shade it provided was not enough by the time we quit buying this summer. This winter we are trying to figure out where else we can go. (The corkscrew willow doesn't have anythng growing under it yet)
We currently have 422 named hostas and a bunch of seedlings from last year plus several trays of seeds under lights inside. We don't know much about hosta growing, but we are trying to learn all we can. We have been helped a lot by all the wonderful hosta people we have met along the way. And no we don't own a BMW. We do have a Harley though (much better)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'd have to say that your hosta addiction story is heard quite often on here. :lol: I'm in the same predicament. I'm trying to find more shade to plant more hostas. I really need to stop since I now have over 500, although I might lose some over the winter. I lost quite a lot last winter. It just kept warming up and thawing and then freezing again.
I'm not trying to buy hostas that might be a bit more sun tolerant and have found there are lots and lots out there, so I should be good for another year or two of hosta buying. :wink:
Again...welcome to you both. We're happy to have you here with us. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Be sure and post your have/want lists in the journal section, that way you can join in on the trades they have here in the spring and fall (I think that's when they are. :) ) .

Welcome to the forums, have fun exploring and expanding your property to acomidate your growing want list. :D
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Welcome to HG!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply